PDA

View Full Version : 2012 File size too big to handle

annie123
2011-09-20, 11:56 AM
Dear all,

We are doing one group housing project in Revit Architecture. We created unit plan of apartments as individual file and then linked them together to create typical floor plan of one tower. then linked the same in tower file and copied the link to create 26 story tower. now the size of file is 2.61 mb but it takes 2-3 minutes to open and also to regenerate.

1 Is this the right way
2 why file takes so long to open.
3 Even to cut a section in the file takes minutes.

my machine is DELL XPS with 6 GB RAM. processor is i7, 64 bit operating system.

Regards,
Annie

contact.andrewk968454
2011-09-20, 12:43 PM
That's a lot of remembering that the software has to do. A link of many links will obviously take a while to manipulate in any software.

Wouldn't it be better to, instead of linking the apartments into a floor and then link the floor into a tower, to group one apartment, make the floor with grouped apartments, and then link it into the tower? I'd imagine it'd move much faster.

sbrown
2011-09-20, 12:50 PM
I would do the units as groups, then the whole floor as groups. Only use links if you have to have the same unit in multible buildings, then you can link the unit in and bind it so it is a group. Also if you want it to load faster you will want to create a standard drafting view to save from at the end of the day. Revit does what is called "lazy parsing" meaning it loads what it needs to display, so if you save your project in a 3d view, well it will take much longer to open then if you open the project and all it has to regen is a drafting view with some text.

snowocean
2011-09-20, 05:44 PM
The firm I work at actually does the drafting view thing. We use it as message board and I like it. Saves time and it keeps people informed as long as they use it. As for the size I think it's just the nature of the beast. I agree the grouping rather than linking is the way to go, but a 26 story tower is going to be a big file. I am currently working on CA for a 14 floor office building. File size is 2.34mb and has become very slow to work in.

cliff collins
2011-09-20, 05:49 PM
I hope you mean 234 MB, not 2.34 MB....................

cheers

cdatechguy
2011-09-20, 05:58 PM
I hope you mean 234 MB, not 2.34 MB....................

cheers

;)...beat me to it....I was hoping it wasn't 2.34 GB :shock:

But even with 234 mb that isn't that big... I am guessing the temp file is getting too large and is taxing the virtual memory with all the links...

DaveP
2011-09-20, 09:20 PM
If there is some logical way to break down the floors, I'd put different floors, or at least groups of floors on separate Worksets.
Turning off some of the Worksets will greatly speed both Loading and generally working in Revit. If you can split out disciplines (Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical, maybe), turn those off if you don't need them.
But, as far as you Building Sections go, if you need to see the whole building, there's probably not much you can do.

How many units to you have on each floor? 8, maybe? times 26 floors makes over 200 fully documented apartments you're loading up.

annie123
2011-09-22, 07:00 AM
Thank you everyone !

We tried with groups. we created each unit and then group them and inserted in typical floor plan file. but when we insert it, it gives plenty of errors ( mostly with join geometry) . so we tried with links.

and now when we create tower with 26 floor plans( each floor plan as link ) . its becoming problem to handle. your suggestion is always a gr8 help.

Regards,
Annie

Brian Myers
2011-09-23, 06:55 PM
I'd go with DaveP 's answer: Worksets.

The famous example is the Freedom Tower project where they didn't have computers powerful enough to spin the entire model until the past couple years. They handled this by breaking the Tower into Worksets of (I believe) 5 floors each. It should help quite a bit.

...or, of course, invest in more RAM... (but Worksets should help until then).