PDA

View Full Version : Reading PDF files on the go

cadkiller
2005-01-16, 05:44 PM
Group;

I want to be able to read PDF files on the go.

I don’t want to buy a laptop just to be able to do this and my Palm pilot is too small to read 8 1/2x 11” sheets.

I remember seeing something somewhere that is the size of a sheet of paper and allowed you to read digital books with it.

I can’t seem to find it anymore and was wondering if I could read PDf files with it.

Does anyone know of this device or something similar that I could get?

Thanks;

Ed Borg

Brian Myers
2005-01-16, 08:12 PM
I don't know of a product capable of doing exactly what you want, but I would keep your eyes open on this:

The Hiebook
http://www.ebookad.com/hiebook/

It does a multitude of things and this was their response to this question:

Q: Can I use hiebook to read PDF files?
A: While we have not yet announced support for reading PDF files on hiebook, we are seriously considering this issue. When we release our programming SDK later this year, it is very likely that a third party will develop a PDF viewer for hiebook. The hardware is certainly capable of rendering PDF files

Another product with potential is the "MyFriend"
http://www.ipm-net.com/EN/myfriend/default.htm

While I'm no sure if it can do PDFs, it does use Windows CE as the OS.
It might be worth taking a minute to contact them to see if it's possible.

Hope these lead you in the right direction,
Brian

ps. A Tablet PC sounds like your ideal solution, but likely above your price range.

cadkiller
2005-01-16, 09:15 PM
Brian;

Thanks, that was the one I saw before. The E-Book reader and it costs about $250.
The Tablet PC is very nice; but starts at $850 and up. I could buy an entry level laptop for that price to do what I want.

PS: My friend is giving me her old laptop and that should give me the ability for now.

Thanks;
Ed Borg

Glenn Pope
2005-01-16, 10:40 PM
For anyone else that might be interested. Wal-mart (yes Wal-mart) has a laptop for under $500.