PDA

View Full Version : Sloping garage slab

jwilhelm
2005-01-16, 10:02 PM
I was just creating a garage slab that slopes & used the "ramp" to create it. I noticed that you cannot get a spot elevation from a ramp. Is it possible to slope a floor? or would one use a roof?

Roger Evans
2005-01-16, 10:14 PM
Yup just use the slope arrow for floors

zanzibarbob7
2005-01-16, 11:24 PM
I was also creating a sloping garage slab but to a center drain. I created four different floor slabs, each using the slope arrow. The result was four triangular floor slabs with the correct slope and convergence point. I then placed an opening in the center but had to create it for each of the floor slabs to get the circlular drain opening. I tried to join the floors but was unsuccessful.

I would like a result that looks like I would get with a solid revolve. Smooth!!

Is there an easier way to do this?

beegee
2005-01-17, 12:59 AM
An easy way is to use create an in-place void blend, with the base set at the waste outlet level and the top at the slab level. Start with a thicker slab than you need and cut the excess away with the void blend.

zanzibarbob7
2005-01-17, 10:59 AM
I'm fairly new to Revit and have not yet used the void blend tool. I will attempt your method today. Thank you for the suggestion.

jcoe
2005-01-17, 03:23 PM
I had a similar question some time ago. You may find this thread helpful:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=9728&highlight=slope+drain.

If for some reason the link does not work use the search tool and type in "slope to drain."

zanzibarbob7
2005-01-17, 09:11 PM
Beegee,

I,m sure your solution is simple and elegant, and I thought I had a handle on it, but after several hours of frustration I am at a standstill. Here's what I have done:

Constructed a floor 3' thick, just to have a thick floor to to see any changes.
Placed round opening in center>then to model tab>create>floors in Family Category and Parameters.

Void Form> Void Blend>set depth to -2'>select drain hole>Edit top>Depth to 0,0>lines>select edge of floor>finish sketch>receive error (Can't create blend).

I have looked at the selections in elevation and the drain selection always remains on the level one regardless of the numbers I assign to it.

What am I doing wrong??

beegee
2005-01-17, 09:17 PM
Have you set the work plane to the appropriate position before making the blend ?

zanzibarbob7
2005-01-17, 09:29 PM
I tried that. Set to level one and since it's a floor used a negative number for the base(drain hole) and 0 for the top, which, are the slab edges. Still get the same error!!

beegee
2005-01-17, 09:32 PM
Can you post a file - just the slab and void , for one of us to look at ?

zanzibarbob7
2005-01-17, 10:28 PM
I can't seem to get the base to move off the level one. No locks or the like. I have done a few solid blends and experiments and could get them to go both above and below the level 1 line. See attachment.

My top is top edge of slab and the drain line won't seem to move

beegee
2005-01-18, 08:09 AM
Zanzibar,

Play around with this rvt file and see if that helps.

zanzibarbob7
2005-01-21, 09:49 PM
I finally discovered the error in my ways. The void blend process is quite simple but it needs to be performed on a solid extrusion. I was using a floor tool to select type and create my garage floor. Big error!! The void blend won't cut this object.

Instead you use create from the modelling tab, THEN pic floor from the Family Category and Parameter box, name it, create it. Now you can aply the void blend.

I struggled with this for some time before I called my software vendor. Five minutes and I was back on the road.

Thanks BeeGee for the help!!!