PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2012 can you Delete Unused Room Names & Department Names

billy007nh
2011-09-26, 01:08 PM
We are in the need of trying to delete some room names that SOME people have typed in and some Departments names as well. That way these people will use the STANDARD ones that we have in our template and I will start removing keys from there keyboard to get them to use these standard room names. I do not see how to purge them or remove them from the pulldown list once they are typed in?

Thanks
Billy

JStoney27
2011-09-26, 01:44 PM
Create a Room Schedule (or navigate to the room schedule you have already created). Highlight the rooms that you don't want in your project, and select "Delete" from the ribbon. I keep a "Working" room schedule in our template (and in turn our projects) for this, and other purposes.

billy007nh
2011-09-26, 02:46 PM
That does not get rid of that name in the overall Project. I still see in the room or department list when I go and to label a new room or department that messed up name. I do not want to see it as a option the next time I go a label a room.

Billy

sbrown
2011-09-26, 03:37 PM
Then you aren't doing what the responder suggested, when you delete the Room from you schedule it will be gone. When you delete it from a plan, it just "returns to the schedule" to wait. Maybe you have some filter or sorting on in your schedule or phase that is preventing you from seeing every instance.

billy007nh
2011-09-26, 04:02 PM
It is not that i am not doing what they suggested it is you are not getting my problem. After deleting the Room in the schedule that room DOES NOT get deleted in the Project. So next time I go to put in a room and go into the Properties palette under (Identity Data) parameter called Name: still has in that pull down every Room that someone typed even if that room does not existing in the schedule or the project at all.

Hope that helps clear up my question.

Billy

sbrown
2011-09-26, 04:06 PM
Check your schedule again, do you have the check box checked for itemize every instance. It would not show up in your pulldown list if it is NOT in the schedule somewhere. These things can be annoying, but its in their somewhere. Do you have any filters on your room schedule?

billy007nh
2011-09-26, 04:12 PM
the short answer is yes to all that. I have even deleted EVERY room in the ENTIRE project just to see if my Rooms will start over as none to pick from and that doesn't work. So if I have No rooms in my project I still see 50 room names in the pull down to choose from.

Billy

lhanyok
2011-09-26, 06:53 PM
One more thing to check in your room schedule is the "Filter Not Placed & Unenclosed Items" options at the top of your screen. Make sure it's not set to "Hide", otherwise you won't see rooms that you've deleted from the plan but not from a schedule.

billy007nh
2011-09-26, 07:11 PM
So if there are NO ROOMS in the PROJECT what difference does it make what the schedule setting are at. So lets say its not the schedule any other ideas?

Billy

lhanyok
2011-09-26, 07:16 PM
Do you have a key schedule for rooms in your project? Even if there aren't any rooms in the project, if you have the Name and Department parameters filled in a key schedule, they will show up as options when making a new room.

sbrown
2011-09-26, 07:45 PM
Can you post your purged file. I guarantee there are NOT Place Rooms in the schedule somewhere. this is how revit works. You can program you rooms, either into your template or ahead of time. So that you will see them when you place them and can add program data to them, ie target area, whatever. So you have them somewhere. How did you delete all the rooms. I'm not aware of anyway to do this except from the schedules.

See if you can get the file size down or you can email it to me sen me a PM and I'll be happy to take a look at it. Or you can file a support request if you are sure that you really don't have the rooms in their somewhere.

Remember also rooms are phase specific, so you might have a previous phase with the rooms in the schedule set to that phase.

DaveP
2011-09-26, 08:45 PM
Do you have a key schedule for rooms in your project? Even if there aren't any rooms in the project, if you have the Name and Department parameters filled in a key schedule, they will show up as options when making a new room.

If you have deleted all the Rooms in the project (did you check all the Phases, too?), the only other place the Departments might be are in Key Schedules or Color Schemes.
Actually, we've used Color Schemes on a few project instead of a Key Schedule. They only work for Rooms, but you don't have to dedicate that parameter to a Key Schedule.

JStoney27
2011-09-26, 09:34 PM
Also, do you have a color scheme setup to color by Name? if so you (or someone) may have added names to that color scheme. Those would show up in that list. Go to Ribbon: Home>Room and Area>Color Schemes.

billy007nh
2011-09-28, 09:34 PM
I found that even if you have no rooms in your projects you still can have room names loaded and the last few reply hit on the issue. In SD Phase someone enter in manually in the Color Scheme under Name scheme and added a ton of room names and even if they did not exist yet they will be in the Pull Down for room names so we had 10 ways to name a Toilet Room like Boy, Boys, Boy's Girl, Girls, Girl's, TLT., Toilet, Toilet RM...... I walked over to the BIM Lead guy and almost Choked him OUT today!

Thanks!

Billy

cliff collins
2011-09-29, 01:38 PM
Rooms have been beat to death already in this thread.

Departments still cannot be deleted/edited however. I have placed this on the RFO Wishlist--hopefully the Factory will take action.

Once "WRONG" Departments get input, you can not get rid of them as far a s I can tell.
If you try to Transfer Project Standards from a Template with your Color Schemes, it ADDS them
to your "WRONG" ones--instead of overwriting them. LOL

cheers

MikeJarosz
2011-09-29, 08:12 PM
You are directing your frustration at the drop down list. That is not the source of the problem.

The drop down list is created in Revit by collecting all instances of all rooms. It sorts them and creates the unique list. If you delete all instances of any one room, it will disappear from the drop down. If you miss just one, it will stubbornly remain in the drop down.

The one you can't find might be a dumb mistake, possibly made by someone else on the team, which makes it hard too find. I once found a room in the parking lot. Who looks there?

Overlaid rooms are another source of trouble, although Revit usually does a good job of flagging duplicated/overlayed rooms.

You DO check errors and warnings, right?

So What
2012-12-02, 11:24 AM
Where does one find 'Filter Not Placed & Unenclosed Items', you mention, in a room schedule for RAC 2013?

So What
2012-12-02, 11:25 AM
Where does one find 'Filter Not Placed & Unenclosed Items', you mention, in a room schedule for RAC 2013?

One more thing to check in your room schedule is the "Filter Not Placed & Unenclosed Items" options at the top of your screen. Make sure it's not set to "Hide", otherwise you won't see rooms that you've deleted from the plan but not from a schedule.

MikeJarosz
2012-12-03, 05:43 PM
Revit has many, many nooks and crannies for things to hide in. I admit I do not know every one of them. You claim you have deleted every room, but it is possible that a room is hiding inside a feature you have never used, or even knew existed!

samcooke327753
2014-02-10, 05:07 PM
hi, i know this is an old thread, but i think i know what the issue is.
in your colour scheme there is room information as it is storing the colours for all rooms/departments etc.

try deleting all the colours in all scheme's

l.chlimoun700198
2015-05-07, 02:51 PM
I'm a little late here, but for anyone else searching for an answer, I found one. If it's not an issue with the room name/dept name being somewhere in the schedule or in the model, try opening the color scheme. I had mine set to "Department" and all of the departments typed in were shown on the color scheme table. One of the columns is entitled "in use" and in each department row it will say either "Yes" or "No." You cannot delete a department if it is in use (indicated with a "Yes"). All of my unused Departments were shown on the table. I highlighted them and selected "delete" (the red "-" sign, which will be greyed out when highlighting a Department that is in use). Delete each one in all saved color schemes and that should eliminate all the extra names in the drop down list when creating/adjusting rooms. I haven't tried this for room names, but I'm assuming it would work the same.

mkleing681228
2016-11-04, 06:34 PM
hi, i know this is an old thread, but i think i know what the issue is.in your colour scheme there is room information as it is storing the colours for all rooms/departments etc.try deleting all the colours in all scheme'sThe answer is ..if have deleted all room entries with the particular name you want to Delete [check all your room schedules] THEN go to Color Schemes {expand underneath Rooms icon} then look through all the schemes and you'll see that particular room(s) in one of them .. then to left (-) depiction to remove field