PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Any way to get balusters to show when not cut in plan?

patricks
2011-09-30, 02:00 PM
I created a highway-type steel guard rail with large, square posts that are only about 32" high. My plan cut plane is up at 48". If I extend the square tube balusters up past the cut plane, they show up, but if they don't extend that high they don't show up at all.

I tried placing a plan region with the cut plane down below the top of the balusters, but they still don't show up in a plan region no matter where its cut plane is set.

Anyone have an idea how I can get these things to show up in plan view?

cliff collins
2011-09-30, 03:38 PM
Balusters are non-cuttable.

Only other way I can think of would be to use a Curtainwall with custom mullions and panels instead of a
railing for the guardrail.

cheers

patricks
2011-09-30, 06:56 PM
Well the railings were short enough that I ended up just using separate W-section columns for the balusters (how they're actually built) and no balusters in the railing type.

But then shortly after that we decided not to do the railing at all and just do large bollards instead. :(

Alfredo Medina
2011-09-30, 06:59 PM
It is possible with railings and balusters, but you have to make sure of these two things:

1) From the project browser, find the name of the family for the baluster. > Edit > Find "Visibility settings > turn on "Plan view". Balusters are cuttable but they have this option off by default.

2) In the project, create a plan region that covers the whole railing, from end to finish, and set the cut plane of the plan region to something like 2'.

gusaluphagus
2012-07-02, 03:00 PM
Thank you, Alfredo! This is a little piece of gold!

jaleel73
2016-10-04, 01:12 PM
Thank you Mr Alfredo. it is very handy