PDA

View Full Version : Family Masking Region

antman
2011-10-05, 11:54 PM
I have a standard sink plumbing fixture family that has a masking region around the outer edge, on the reference plane that is synonymous with the counter top. The problem is that if the sink has a 0" offset from the counter, the masking region doesn't mask the counter (we use a gray solid fill pattern on our counter tops). If I move the sink up .01" it masks, but I don't like that solution. If I move the masking region up within the family, it masks both the counter *and* the sink - even if I don't move the masking region above the modeled features. Is this by design, or am I missing something?

Joshua Kohl
2011-10-06, 11:33 AM
Are they 2D or 3D families?

This may help:
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/1394-Document1394/1788-Detailin1788/1837-Masking_1837/1840-Masking_1840

antman
2011-10-06, 04:01 PM
Both the sink and the counter top are 3D. I was expecting to get similar results to the first image in scenario 1. The counter top does not have a masking region. When I set the masking region in the sink to Draw in Foreground, it masks the counter top, but it also masks the sink.

Oh hey I figured it out - I think. It looks like I have to add symbolic lines (also set to Draw in Foreground) to the sink family. Is there any control that allows the 3D geometry of the sink to be visible through the masking region in the sink family?

Joshua Kohl
2011-10-12, 06:01 PM
While I have never created either a sink or a counter top, shouldn't the sink have a void that cuts the counter top?

greg.mcdowell
2011-10-14, 06:32 PM
In 2012 a face-based family can cut a Generic Model. So, if your sink is faced based and has a void that cuts the face AND your counter is a Generic Model then yes.