PDA

View Full Version : Room area in apartment builing

Anthony Miguel
2011-10-09, 03:09 PM
I often work on apartment building floor plans with multiple units. I would like to find a way to schedule the individual room areas of each unit; i.e unit by unit, room by room and total area for each unit.
Is this possible in revit?

sbrown
2011-10-10, 12:58 PM
We make all the interior walls of the unit NON room bounding, then the room object is the Unit Type A. That gives you a way to count your number of Type A units and gives you the net area of each unit. We don't do a room schedule for the interior rooms so this works. If you need to have a room schedule containing the individual rooms within each apartment, you need to create a couple of schedule keys. Once called Category, one Called sub-category, then you will create a Key for each unit type, and a sub category key for each room type within each unit. IE Category is Unit Type A, Sub Categories, are Kitchen, Living, Dining, etc. Then you apply these to your room object, then sort your schedule based on Category first, then Sub Category.(note you don't really have to do the sub-category, you can add all your interior rooms to the Category and that will work fine too.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-10-10, 07:40 PM
I'll generally use room objects for all finish schedule related uses (net areas) and area plans with area boundaries for any gross area requirements. The 'all or nothing' approach to where room objects measure areas is not really conducive to accurate area calcs for things like code/by-law related requirements or gross areas. Works fine for interior locations but can't deal well with perimeter conditions.
I still use Scott's approach on rooms by applying a unit ID parameter to room objects so you can schedule totals by unit or unit type for finishes.

visanuiulian
2013-01-14, 03:06 PM
We make all the interior walls of the unit NON room bounding, then the room object is the Unit Type A. That gives you a way to count your number of Type A units and gives you the net area of each unit. We don't do a room schedule for the interior rooms so this works. If you need to have a room schedule containing the individual rooms within each apartment, you need to create a couple of schedule keys. Once called Category, one Called sub-category, then you will create a Key for each unit type, and a sub category key for each room type within each unit. IE Category is Unit Type A, Sub Categories, are Kitchen, Living, Dining, etc. Then you apply these to your room object, then sort your schedule based on Category first, then Sub Category.(note you don't really have to do the sub-category, you can add all your interior rooms to the Category and that will work fine too.

A very useful answer!