PDA

View Full Version : renaming the default parameters in .rft families?

wbenatti.205164
2011-10-10, 02:53 PM
Hi, I'm creating a new family of doors with the "Metric Door.rft" template but in the FAMILY TYPES -> PARAMETERS -> DIMENSIONS I can´t rename, for example, the word "width" to simply "W" or the word "height" to "H". Is that possible or you can't rename the default parameters?

aggockel50321
2011-10-10, 05:07 PM
Default width & height can't be renamed. You can work around that by adding a new parameter, i.e, "Door Width" and then set Width=Door Width.

rosskirby
2011-10-10, 07:20 PM
Or, if you temporarily change the extension of the file to .rfa (from .rft), then you can change anything you want, and add all the subcategories you want. Just remember to change the extension back to .rft when you're done.

wbenatti.205164
2011-10-10, 08:54 PM
Hi rosskirby, I just do it, but failed. I made a copy of the "Metric Door.rft" so I renamed to "Metric Door.rfa" but the default settings remain locked, it's impossible rename them. That's what I should do?

wbenatti.205164
2011-10-10, 08:58 PM
yes andrewg, it worked but is not there any other way?

Alex Page
2011-10-10, 09:46 PM
No - there is no way of renaming those "default" parameters

wbenatti.205164
2011-10-11, 11:50 AM
Okay, thank you all for the answers

Joshua Kohl
2011-10-11, 12:24 PM
While not a good idea at all, you can change the default parameter names by first changing the Family Category to Generic Models, modify the name and then switch the Family Category back to the original.

However I would suggest that you NOT do this because the renamed parameter itself isn't recognized by Revit in relationship to a door schedule and such.

A good use of switching to the Generic Model Category temporarily would be if you had a need to change the default parameters from Type to Instance based, then change back to the original category of the family you are creating.

I noticed this when reviewing the sample families that accompany Autodesk Seek's "Revit Model Content Style Guide" v2.1. Attached is a jpg that shows the stock revit door template and the Seek sample, notice that in the stock door the Width, Height, Rough Width & Rough Height are all type based parameters. In the Seek door the Height & Width are type based and the Rough Width & Rough Height are instance based (default) parameters.

wbenatti.205164
2011-10-11, 12:51 PM
Ok Joshua, I'll take a look at the "Revit Model Content Style Guide" to learn more, thank you so much!