PDA

View Full Version : Why can views only be used once in sheets?

stuartw
2011-10-12, 09:24 PM
Just had day 3 of training which threw up a couple of queries. I was very surprised to be told that you can only add one item from the Project Explorer to one sheet. It couldn’t be used again on another sheet!! Also found out that you can’t clip/mask something attached to a sheet without it effecting the original view. You can only do this by duplicating views, which, I’m sure, on a large project, will make PE not very manageable.

cdatechguy
2011-10-12, 10:27 PM
Right...if you put a view on multiple sheets then you would have multiple callouts on your plan or section views..Revit does not looking for one reference in multiple places...

You can reference other views though that have already been placed. You can split a view (view as dependent) if you need to put one view on multiple sheets.

Legends on the other hand can be placed on multiple sheets, like notes and such.

Mike Sealander
2011-10-13, 12:29 AM
It sounds like you might be transitioning from AutoCAD or a similar program. The concepts that apply to one don't necessarily apply to the other. Revit really is a new paradigm. It has some warts, but it's really a great way to design, analyze and document. I would be impressed if someone could learn Revit after three days of training. Expect more learning curve ahead, but good luck and stick with it.

gtarch
2011-10-13, 01:25 AM
The easiest way to see why a view can only be placed once is because revit tracks the view number and sheet location of every view that is placed in a set of plans.

If a single view were shown in 2 different places, how would the program know which sheet number and view number to point to in a callout or detail reference?

Just the way it us.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-10-13, 03:53 AM
If you give it some thought you might come to agree with the logic.
Why would you want the same information on two different sheets? When you duplicate a view it is so you can alter the information (scale, visibility, annotation, etc.) to create a separate, purpose specific view of the same model area. The information on a slab edge plan is different than the information on a furniture plan, a plan callout at a different scale, a construction layout plan... The model elements will always be consistent because they are the same elements.

stuartw
2011-10-13, 06:12 AM
It sounds like you might be transitioning from AutoCAD or a similar program. The concepts that apply to one don't necessarily apply to the other. Revit really is a new paradigm. It has some warts, but it's really a great way to design, analyze and document.

To be honest I've been using MicroStation for the last 18 years, and have got use to the excellent reference system provided by Bentley. I also don't intend to give up the use of MicroStation just because our Company has decided to go with Revit.

I would be impressed if someone could learn Revit after three days of training. Expect more learning curve ahead, but good luck and stick with it.

I only had 3 days of MicroStation training originally and it's taken 18 years to get this far!

dkoch
2011-10-15, 12:10 AM
One case where I would want the same view in two places: once on its full-size sheet (the location from which Revit would reference it) and the other on a construction sketch sheet, so I could issue a revised version of the view, without reissuing the entire drawing.

Yes, I know there are work-arounds, and I do understand the need for Revit to know where each view is for reference tracking purposes. It is just a pain to reissue a full-size sheet every time an RFI has to be answered (or, to create duplicate views which could eventually end up showing different things when later changes are made). It is a sufficiently common workflow (dating back to manual drafting) that I would have expected Revit to be able to deal with it.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-10-16, 05:08 PM
It is a sufficiently common workflow (dating back to manual drafting).
Ahh, but in the manual days we would have had to redraw the detail, photocopy the portion required or re-issue the sheet :lol:

It is just a pain to reissue a full-size sheet every time an RFI has to be answered (or, to create duplicate views which could eventually end up showing different things when later changes are made).
David,
I will concede your point but the workflow I've developed for issuing sketches for small portions of the work is to make the changes to the original view, cloud the change, create a callout or duplicate the view and place on a detail sheet (duplicate or duplicate with detail as required), print or create a PDF.
In some cases I'll just do a quick screen capture of the area once the revisions/clarification information is added and just paste that into the RFI response. Once I know the issue has been answered to everyone's satisfaction I will generally delete the 'temporary' sketch view from the project file. My thought is that it should be treated as a 'snapshot' captured at the time of issue and should not remain a live view in the project. If additional changes are made in that area then a new sketch (from the up-to-date model) can be created.
Either way the model is kept current, there is a digital copy/record of what was issued, the trades get the information they need and we don't kill trees.
Different strokes...:beer: