PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping a wall around a column

adnamapaul
2011-10-19, 11:38 AM
How to I get the inner leaf of a cavity wall to wrap round a structural column (see attached)?

rosskirby
2011-10-19, 03:04 PM
Not sure exactly what you're asking...

Are you trying to get the masonry backup to extend out the veneer wall? What do you mean by "leaf"? A door has a "leaf", and a double-door has two, but a wall?

RobG
2011-10-19, 04:45 PM
gotta agree with Ross, not sure what you're asking, that image seems to be correct to me...

damon.sidel
2011-10-19, 04:48 PM
I can think of three methods, neither is perfect:
1. Create a new wall type that is just the two layers that wrap the column and draw walls around the column.
2. If you only need it in a particular view, you could use the Cut Profile tool (View tab > Graphics panel > Cut Profile).
3. Create a three-sided architectural column with the same layers as the wall and place it at the structural column. Don't architectural columns join with walls nicely? I think so, but I can't remember.

adnamapaul
2011-10-20, 09:20 AM
Ross, I guess im talking 'UK'isms. A wall has an inner leaf and an outer leaf.

The attachment shows what I'm trying to (but CANT) achieve.

ajayholland
2011-10-20, 02:09 PM
Paul,
Place an architectural column coincident with the structural one and the wall materials will "flow" into it. A cool feature of Revit that has been there since the earliest versions.
~AJH

RobG
2011-10-20, 02:25 PM
Paul,
Place an architectural column coincident with the structural one and the wall materials will "flow" into it. A cool feature of Revit that has been there since the earliest versions.
~AJH

but then you have two columns in the place of one... personally, given the image, that's multiple walls wrapping around a column done manually. I'm not a big fan of architectural columns for a condition like this. but again, the whole "leaf" thing is where I might be getting confused.

By leaf, do you mean materials??

edsonasalazar
2011-10-20, 03:37 PM
I think leaf means layer, i might be wrong though.
What i do is just create a new one sided wall and just go around the column

rosskirby
2011-10-20, 04:06 PM
Ross, I guess im talking 'UK'isms. A wall has an inner leaf and an outer leaf.

The attachment shows what I'm trying to (but CANT) achieve.

Ahh, gotcha. So your current wall cuts through where the column is, and you want it wrap around, is that right?

You could try using an architectural column, which will inherit the properties of the first wall it touches, although I tend to not use those, since they can be...problematic.

I usually create a new wall type that consists of just the layers (or leafs - leaves?) that wrap around the column, and draw them in. Then, in any detail views at this condition, I'd use the cut profile tool to clean it up. That could get tedious if you have this condition in many places, but architectural columns can be finicky, so take your pick.

cliff collins
2011-10-20, 04:14 PM
You might also consider "nesting" walls for a column wrap into the Structural Column, and have them
on/off controlled by visibility parameters. One for freestanding/4-sided condition and one for 3 -sides pilaster conditions. We do this for fire-proofing on steel columns using a nested generic model family.

Of course, if you then get a Struct. Eng.'s model, you will use their columns, and then you will end up
needing arch. wall column wraps anyway. You could create a Model Group or Groups for the column wraps,
and then copy/array them in each Level, etc.

cheers

RobG
2011-10-20, 04:33 PM
in the case where you have this happening a lot (which can clearly happen on large projects) this is where groups can come in handy. I've taken this approach myself in the past for a hotel project.

that requires the approach of new wall types (which in my experience/opinion is better and easier then dealing with architectural columns)

patricks
2011-10-20, 09:06 PM
I personally would probably make a void family and place it where the column is so that it cuts into the wall. Then use a wall type that consists only of that inner "leaf" and finish layer, and wrap the column with that. There might be additional lines visible where the void cuts into your air space layer, but really that shouldn't be a big deal. Just take care of that detail in the, well, details. :)

We typically tag column wraps as separate wall types anyway, which is why I suggest that method, and also why I tend not to use architectural columns.

We have a LARGE renovation project that I worked on last year with tons of existing interior concrete columns, which we wrapped with new hat channels and gyp. I started out with architectural columns overlapping the structural ones EVERYWHERE. Besides not looking correct graphically where there were freestanding columns (no walls for the architectural column to inherit graphic properties), they also couldn't be tagged with wall tags, which was the deal breaker for us. I ended up removing all the architectural columns and replacing them with actual furring wall types everywhere.