PDA

View Full Version : Casework on Large Projects

ThinkRevit
2011-10-20, 01:41 PM
I am trying to build lean Casework Families that increase performance on large Projects. Will nesting as shown in the attached image increase performance as used across dozens of Families in a single Project?

rosskirby
2011-10-20, 04:11 PM
That's fine, as long as you don't need to use them for renderings, live sections or non-orthographic (angled) views. Although I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about with nesting, since your model seem to consist of a single extrusion and multiple model/symbolic lines. Nesting refers to the use of separate families nested within another family (door panels or drawers or hardware, for instance).

ThinkRevit
2011-10-20, 04:25 PM
Only simple Hidden Line Perspectives needed. The goal is to increase performance my Nesting the Solid so that every base cabinet references a single Extrusion. My question is, would this increase performance on a Project using, lets say, (100) different base cabinet Families?

jsteinhauer
2011-10-21, 03:47 PM
Only simple Hidden Line Perspectives needed. The goal is to increase performance my Nesting the Solid so that every base cabinet references a single Extrusion. My question is, would this increase performance on a Project using, lets say, (100) different base cabinet Families?

You would have over 100 different families or 100 different family types for casework? I created all my casework families for my firm, using model & symbolic lines. No 3d geometry was nested into these families. There are several hundred different families for casework, but we don't use very many on our projects, probably only about 50-75 different families get loaded into any one project. Family types usually include about 4-7 different sizes. We haven't had any projects thus far that our hardware couldn't handle. I do work for a larger firm that invests in new hardware almost yearly, and I'm usually one of the first to get upgraded. So, if you are working for a smaller firm without this equipment investment strategy, then you might want to think about having separate models for casework.

I've worked with our interiors department to create casework that could be rendered. These have nested shared cabinet fronts and hardware controlled by Family Type parameters. I haven't heard from them for a while on how their development is coming along, or not. But, that is another suggestion for how to make your casework more complicated, with larger file size, and potentially more useful.

Moderators might want to move this to Revit Families instead of Revit General.

Hope this helps,
Jeff S.

ThinkRevit
2011-10-23, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I opted for the following:

1. No Nesting
2. Masking in Plan only
3. Many Model Lines, each with their own Associated Yes/No Parameter.
4. 99% Seek Compliant (No Manufacturer Identity Data)

The result is a highly Flexible 240K Family driven by a Catalog of over 6,000 potential Types. For Rendering, it is useless, but for large Projects, it should help performance.