PDA

View Full Version : Biting corner out of roof

zanzibarbob7
2011-10-22, 02:30 PM
This applies to several things related to view but I wanted to create several views to simulate an exploded view on the sheet. Floor, walls, roof! But I want to take a bite out of the roof like taking a chunk out of the corner. With the section box I can take one bite which subtracts from the roof in a planar manner but how can I take a block out of the corner?

Alex Page
2011-10-23, 02:07 AM
you cant using normal secion boxes etc....as a workaround, what about creating two roofs, one which is "the bite" and one that is the rest. join together so they show as one roof everywhere but in your view, "hide" the bite one?

arb
2011-10-23, 01:02 PM
you cant using normal secion boxes etc....as a workaround, what about creating two roofs, one which is "the bite" and one that is the rest. join together so they show as one roof everywhere but in your view, "hide" the bite one?

I've seen that method used to create some really great looking presentation views. The linework tool is an easy way to hide the "seam".

- Alex

zanzibarbob7
2011-10-23, 07:19 PM
Alex, Thanks for the tip. I created two roofs, Did an extrusion which I changed to a void and cut one of the roofs. I then aligned and joined then and used the hide elements feature to
get what I wanted. Attached is a simple test of the method.

arb
2011-10-24, 12:50 PM
Alex, Thanks for the tip. I created two roofs, Did an extrusion which I changed to a void and cut one of the roofs. I then aligned and joined then and used the hide elements feature to

I haven't had to do this, but if you have several voids to create the layered cut away effect, then you can just create a workset for them that is typically off so that you don't have to manually hide them in elevations and roof plans. It may not be worth it for what you're doing, but we use worksets extensively for controlling visibility across the project.

Looks like you have it figured out though.

- Alex

Isaacarus
2011-10-24, 09:09 PM
This sounds like a job for the new parts tool.

Alex Page
2011-10-24, 09:42 PM

I wouldnt bother with the void, just make one roof with the bite already out of it and one roof of the bite- have a look at my example:

Alex Page
2011-10-24, 09:51 PM
Actually, your way may be better since then you just have to edit the void extrusion to make it bigger or smaller, whereas my way you would have to edit both the roofs.
hmmmm......Im going to completely change my mind and I would do this:

Your way (!) but create a future "Presentation" phase where the "real" roof is hidden and the false roof is created. This way ALL your views for all phases (except for future presentation) are correct (including scheduling) and then you can add other presentation "elements" as required all contained within your presentation phase ....

jeffh
2011-10-27, 01:31 PM
This sounds like a job for the new parts tool.

This would be a great job for the Parts and Divide Parts tools in 2012 but sadly if the roof has a slope the parts tool can't be used on it.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/0325-Build_th325/1144-Construc1144/1146-Parts1146/1147-Parts_Ov1147#GUID-DA150C6B-996C-4C70-9E8C-3C536C232851

zanzibarbob7
2011-10-27, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did not think of using phases and although the divide parts tool is great, it wouldn't achieve what I want. In the end, the simple solution with the void seems best, although I do wish that that I might have been able to duplicate a section box and use two to get the "bite." Thanks for the help!

jhalaby
2011-10-27, 10:01 PM
I would also suggest using design options as another way to do this. Place your "whole" roof in a primary option, and the "cut-out" roof in the other option. We often use design options to prevent entourage and presentation objects from appearing our typical views.

Alex Page
2011-10-27, 10:32 PM
Another excellent idea!