PDA

View Full Version : If a beam is curved and sloped it twists out of its vertical axis

carlos937513
2011-10-24, 07:02 PM
If a beam is curved and sloped it twists out of the vertical axis. Is there any way to avoid the twisting?
Profiles used as stringers in a stair are not twisted in the same condition (curved and sloped).
Could anyone help me to fix this twisting problem. Thank you

Hulston1982
2014-01-14, 10:12 AM
Having this problem at the minute also. Has anyone resolved this issue? Thanks

david_peterson
2014-01-17, 04:29 PM
If you're doing stairs, for something that complex, you'll need to do and extrusion across a loft. It's possible in Acad, I'm not sure how to go about that in a revit sense. The beam element wants to twist. I'm thinking an extrusion. But I"m also wondering if the stair tool might work for this. I know it won't make it perfect, but it might get you close. The stair tool seems to get you the correct profile and it looks close. But I don't think Revit has the option to do loft.

Craig_L
2014-01-22, 09:02 AM
I've done this a long time ago now but yes its resolveable.
Try this thread for how you can place and work out your purlins (if you need the level of detail)
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?102385-Purlins-on-a-curved-roof&highlight=karalon10

Also - To place the curved beam, cut a section and create an arc using a detail line to your desired radius, now create a model line (I like to base it on centre of beam) and use the pick line function to pick your curved 2D linework and then you can model your beam by using again the pickline feature (model it in section not plan)
now you can trim ends etc as you like, also take note that the beam will place in a random spot, it wont be on the grid where you cut your section for example, so just go looking for it in a 3D model that has no limits on the view, and then you can move it into place on grid as you desire.
To do the curved beams I have in that other post, I did it this way, and I grouped the entire frame once I had it set up nicely (trimmed columns, cleats, and beam) then I copied the group.
Be careful with this, as editing groups later can have some weird flow on effects so get it as right as you can before you start duplicating and propogating the group.

Hulston1982
2014-01-27, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. Will give it a go and see how i get on.