PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Survey & C3D

b.timmerman283790
2011-11-01, 02:46 PM
Starting the switch from LDT 2007 to C3D 2011 (maybe 2012), but for sure C3D. Timeline is to have our template and styles completed by Dec 1st and then start in-office training for all users. My first thought is the Survey Dept. It all starts with survey and then ends with it. So, I'd like to know what to avoid with C3D and survey documents (Plats/Exhibits/ALTA Surveys/etc...) :?: Should we use C3D CAD tools to do the plats and try to avoid any "issues" with labeling any basic docs with C3D labeling styles? Then leading into survey data (points) from the field - does anyone have any idea how best to handle the points themselves. We try to avoid putting the points in ALL working drawings, but that was based on how LDT 2007 handled them. We are NOT implementing Vault. How best do I keep with the LDT 2007 thought process and try to limit which drawings have the points in them. Or, is that even possible now. My question is basically -if there is a way to data reference the points into drawings and not create excess data in drawings if they don't need them. I know all about Xrefs and wasn't sure how points/Xrefs would work now. I have most of my styles setup (down all the way to Pipes & Structures), but haven't really "tested" them in the production environmnet. What should I look for as the most common errors when starting to use C3D in production? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ccowgill
2011-11-01, 06:31 PM
I've never used LDT, we've always had points in our base drawing, is there a particular reason why you would not want to do so? In C3D 2012, if you import points, you aren't supposed to be able to edit them unless they have been unlocked, if that is a concern. My office is currently in the middle of a switchover from Eagle Point to Civil 3D. We purchased around the middle of August, I'm almost done with Standard setup, but not quite. Hopefully your timetable isnt too aggressive. Of course if you are working on setup full time, it shouldnt be a problem.