PDA

View Full Version : Lineweights in Linked Files

antman
2011-11-07, 06:47 PM
I am having a very difficult time adjusting lineweights of elements in linked Revit files in my current project, especially Structural. I have been trying to do this in V/G Overrides-->Revit Links tab-->Custom Display Settings-->Model Categories tab. I set it to Custom, and tried to override the lines for projection and cut, but there are some things that just won't change.
Examples:
There are some trusses created using the Generic Models category, with a custom Truss Elements subcategory. Not only can I not override the graphics for the subcategory, but overriding the Generic Models category does nothing.

In our sections, we are showing structure's floors (metal deck). I have tried changing everything in the Floors category, but nothing changes.

I hope I'm just missing something simple. This has been making me insane.

hworrell
2011-11-08, 10:10 PM
I have been looking for a sulution for this as well. The issue is that revit uses the lineweights from the linked file instead of the lineweights from the host model. For instance, you may have your line weight of your cut floor set to "4" (this is in the host model) - this is in turn associated with a lineweight of 0.005. In the linked file the lineweight of 4 might be something different...like 0.5... Causing it to look completely different.

You have a couple options...

You can use a view template to change the line weights per each view that you create. You would just need to get a lineweight 'close' to what you have in the host model.

OR
(what we have opted to do for now)

Open the linked file and transfer project standards (you only have to transfer lineweights). Yes, you will have to do this each time you receive a new model from your consultants.

While you are at it...you should transfer materials too, because you can not use the host materials to change model object globally in the a linked file. (irritating)

PS...in 2011, we were able to change the lineweights once and all subsequent reloads remained with the 'correct' lineweight. Why did it change?

cdatechguy
2011-11-08, 10:17 PM
You have to create a filter, and filter them by name or category. Name usually works best if you want to be precise.

antman
2011-11-08, 10:21 PM
You can use a view template to change the line weights per each view that you create. You would just need to get a lineweight 'close' to what you have in the host model.

This is what I've been trying to do, without success. It seems no matter which lineweights I change, nothing looks any different. .-(

hworrell
2011-11-08, 10:40 PM
Anthony - Go for the transferring project standards option. Its much cleaner! (even if you have to do it each time you get a new model) This option is located under the manage tab, you have to open both your linked file and your host file in the same session of revit - (you will get an error to unload the linked file if it is still linked) -

Michael - Thanks! Do you know if I can filter out certain family types? Or do I have to go with the broad category of "Floors"? I can't seem to get to any of the family types in the linked file for filtering.

cdatechguy
2011-11-08, 11:18 PM
Yes, you can filter out certain family types too... Comes in handy if you want some items to be different lineweights than others...or maybe you don't want to see certain beams or equipment, you can filter out just those types while leaving on the ones you don't want to see...and they are all in the same category.

antman
2011-11-09, 09:48 PM
Would it be a bad idea to also transfer Object Styles? I guess the task just sounds more daunting because this project has 12 buildings in it. .-/ That could take all morning, especially considering we have 3 links for each (S, MP, E).