PDA

View Full Version : How to fix this roof fascia sweep?

patricks
2005-01-19, 03:49 PM
I'm trying to sweep a cornice profile around the edge of a flat roof canopy, which has a curved edge at the end. The curved portion of the sweep will attach to the straight part of the sweep on one side only, but not the other side, depending on which straight side I create first. For example if I create the left straight side first and then the right side, the curved portion appears as shown in the following attachment. If I do the right side first, the curved part appears the opposite way (connected to the right side but not to the left side).

Also if I pre-highlight the roof edge, and then tab to select the roof edges all the way around, I still get the same result, depending on which edge my mouse is over when I tab.

Any ideas??

Scott_Bloss
2005-01-19, 04:25 PM
Patricks,

I tried to recreate the situation you have but was not able to achieve the same results. Make sure you select the edge of the roof as the sweep path and make sure it is a continuous line. What I did was create a mass using the sweep tool and I selected to roof edge as the path seemed to work ok. Are you using 7.0 or 6.1, this was created with 7.0. I also got the same results using roof fascia sweep.

Scott D Davis
2005-01-19, 04:48 PM
I, too, tried to re-create it and couldn't. Can you select your fascia, and grab the grips near the 'gap' in your segment, and stretch it into place?

patricks
2005-01-19, 04:51 PM
This is 6.1.

I did get it to work using an in place family, creating a solid using a sweep. But I was just trying to get it to work using the Roof Fascia host sweep tool, and it kept having that problem shown in the image above. I was just being lazy I guess and trying to keep from having to go through the whole sketch process of defining the path, defining the profile, etc. :p

Scott_Bloss
Scott,

The only thing that I can think of is that the line is open ended somewhere which is causing it not to clean up. :p

patricks
I, too, tried to re-create it and couldn't. Can you select your fascia, and grab the grips near the 'gap' in your segment, and stretch it into place?

The grips for the straight and curved portions where the gap occurs are exactly on top of each other. The sweep just won't "connect" at that point, using the host sweep tool.

aaronrumple
2005-01-19, 05:23 PM
Check the vertical alignment. Often it is easy to use an edge with a slightly different elevation and then they will not join.

patricks
2005-01-19, 09:23 PM
Check the vertical alignment. Often it is easy to use an edge with a slightly different elevation and then they will not join.

But it's just a simple flat roof, and I only selected the upper edges of the roof (the edge pre-highlighted before I selected it). I don't see how it could be out of alignment.

I think it's just a bug myself :banghead:

beegee
2005-01-19, 10:03 PM
At this point, can you post the file or just that part of it ?