PDA

View Full Version : Instance Level Control of Nested/Grouped Shared Families

greg.mcdowell
2011-11-08, 06:03 PM
We've decided to model the exterior fiber-cement board panels on a project.

They're nominally 6" wide by 6'-0" long with 8mm spacing between each panel. I decided to make it an arrayed curtain wall panel and have made several nested families to achieve what we're after. The model is good and works as expected. Now there's a twist. We want to control the material of each panel individually.

I have three levels to this family; a base panel that has instance level controls of most parameters including material which is shared and nested into a family that controls the array of the panel (and therefore has the panel grouped to keep the array associated) and this is then nested into a curtain wall panel.

I thought that, since I made the base family shared, that I'd be able to control the material of each panel in the project. But, while I can select each panel by tabbing into to the curtain wall panel, I can't modify the material - the parameter is greyed out.

Thought I'd see if anyone here has run into this before and, if so what the solution might be.

We had thought of skipping the nested family approach and using the base family as a curtain wall panel with a ton of curtain wall grids but I figured that approach would slow the model down more than the nested family approach. Maybe I was wrong in my thinking.

Thoughts, idea, comments?

contact.andrewk968454
2011-11-08, 07:45 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, you cannot change the individual material of an arrayed group of objects since they're all related to each other. Object 1's material will always be on Object 2 and 3. Object 2's material cannot be different from Object 1 and 3.