PDA

View Full Version : Does Revit have a Grid Similar to Autocad

formarch.70565
2005-01-19, 05:16 PM
I must admit I've grown fond on the snaps and grids in AutoCAD because when I'm laying out a building the grid self-corrects for modules as I work on separate areas of the building. This system insures nominal dimensions and I don't have to think about dimensions when designing or connecting various pats of the building. Revit seems to reference existing elements rather than an imaginary grid which make it difficult for me to design. Is there a grid system in Revit similar to Autocad.

aaronrumple
2005-01-19, 05:27 PM
Of course....
See images...

Also - Settings->Snaps

Scott D Davis
2005-01-19, 05:40 PM
Yes, in Revit, it's called a Workplane Grid, and it can be turned on/off from the Toolbar, next to the Plane button (looks like a grid). This Workplane Grid can be defined to be any spacing you'd like in it's properties. The grid can also be moved/aligned easily just by picking a grid line and move or align it to the new location. and all the other grids with re-adjust.

The workplane grid will turn on to your active workplane. It's a good way to see what 'plane' you are drawing in, especially for massing/family creation.

formarch.70565
2005-01-20, 12:20 AM
you would think that with such an obvious command I could have found it- Thanks a lot!!

knurrebusk
2005-05-03, 11:30 PM
you would think that with such an obvious command I could have found it- Thanks a lot!!

You're not alone !
I just discovered that Revit automatically-numbers/letter grids in plan/section.
Will make the project manager/engineer very happy.

jwilhelm
2005-05-04, 12:51 AM
User defined grids would be a nice addition

Scott D Davis
2005-05-04, 12:56 AM
Do you mean user defined "grid-lines" as in a structural grid, or do you mean a grid pattern under the drawing area do draft over?

Phil Palmer
2005-05-04, 10:29 AM
We also need the ability to change the Workplane grid spacing in both direction x and y.
this could be usefull for setting-out walls etc with a designated planning grid.

Scott D Davis
2005-05-04, 02:28 PM
We also need the ability to change the Workplane grid spacing in both direction x and y.
this could be usefull for setting-out walls etc with a designated planning grid.you already can. select the grid, go to properties, and change the spacing.

You can also grab a grid line, and move it to a particular location. This allows you to align a grid with a corner of a building.

edit: I see what you want...you want to control x any y independently!

Phil Palmer
2005-05-04, 03:01 PM
Yes Scott,

Both X and Y spacings to be controlled - More usefull that way I think