PDA

View Full Version : Can't insert view from network drawings

stilesj
2005-01-19, 09:46 PM
I'm just beginning to re-explore sheet sets. I set up a couple of resource drawings on a shared drive on my server (just like we keep all our projects). I created a view in one of those resource drawings. Now when I try to place that view on a new drawing, it says:

Access Violation. Unable to open drawing:

If I try this with a drawing on my local hard drive, it inserts fine. Why would it have trouble with a network drive? As a user, I have all the permissions I could possibly want for that location. Does SSM have some additional location where permissions are set or something?
I'm stumped!

stilesj
2005-01-24, 03:24 PM
Any ideas out there? Can anyone even confirm that they've gotten this to
work okay over a network share?

Glenn Pope
2005-01-24, 04:15 PM
I have no problem with this working over a network.

stilesj
2005-01-24, 04:54 PM
That's why I'm so stumped, I guess. I can't recall if it worked for me before, it's been awhile since I originally played with sheet sets.

I can open the drawings off the network. Even by right-clicking on the name in the Resource Drawings tab, it lets me open the drawing or view.

Ah, ha! Found the answer just now as I was trying to describe the problem. It was right in front of me all the time. Just before the error, there would be a prompt that says:

"You are about to place content onto a layout that is not included in the current sheet set."
Because it has an OK and a Cancel, I figured that it was just a reminder, not an actual deal-breaker.

Well, apparently you have to be in a layout that is part of the current sheet set for this to work, at least when working on a shared network drive. Once I did that, the view placed fine.