PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Groups

rbcameron1
2011-11-18, 03:59 PM
Does anyone else seem to crash more in Revit 2010, 2011 (not as much in 2012) when using "groups"??? I seem to be just a tiny bit more likely to crash (exit w/ recovery) then when I just don't use them.
Any suggestions? Is it a graphics issue? a RAM issue? Revit? How do I avoid this?

-ryan

(Below are the specs of three different computers I crash on when using groups)

Dell Precision M6500
Intel i7-820QM (1.73Ghz - 3.06Ghz)
Nvidia Quadro 3800M
8Gb 1333Mhz RAM
64-bit Windows 7

Dell Precision T5500
Dual - Intel X5650 - 6core (2.66Ghz-3.06Ghz)
Dual Nvidia Quadro 4000's
16Gb 1333Mhz RAM
64-bit Windows 7

HP Z800
Intel E5630 Quadcore (2.4Ghz - 2.66Ghz)
Nvidia Quadro FX 1800
6Gb RAM
64-bit Windows XP

rosskirby
2011-11-18, 04:58 PM
Is it the same file/project crashing, or is it any project? Detail groups or model groups? What's in the group? Could it be one family that's causing the problems every time (i.e. a hosted family)?

rbcameron1
2011-11-18, 05:11 PM
Its really anytime I create a model group with 4 or more parts to it. Those parts usually include walls, curtain wall systems, doors, windows and possibly furniture. Currently I have an exterior stacked wall (base is cast stone, brick masonry in middle, metal panel on top) with a wall opening, 4 windows (curtain walls) and two brick masonry walls midway up. Nothing too fancy, although it sounds elaborate. Had my first recovery crash in the model a day or two after it was created. I'm in a 44Mb Revit file, not big if you ask me. I've been working in this model without a single crash for 2 weeks until today.

In the past I had a room group with a certain wall, casework, door and window. I'd get about 5 of those groups created (just like this wall group) and I crashed just a little more often than I would without it ever being made. No hosted families at all...just basic out of the box Revit walls, doors, windows, etc...

Even since Revit 2010 and I started consistently using groups, I hesitate to make them, even though it adds to my efficiency and I clearly have the computers capable of handling the software.
Basically what I'm asking is: Does anyone else have this problem? and if so, What did you do to fix/solve/work around it?

-ryan

damon.sidel
2011-11-18, 07:37 PM
We are using 2011 and use groups for some things, although perhaps not as extensively as you seem to be using them. We were having some trouble including errors of "corrupt wall join data". So our problems may not have stemmed from the same place as yours. However, it was always walls in our groups. Specifically, it was always walls in our groups that had profiles. Once we got rid of those, our problems seemed to disappear.

rbcameron1
2011-12-02, 05:50 AM
Someone from Autodesk said the solution was not to add walls to the groups as well. Kind of defeats the purpose when I'm trying to be efficient...

I'm getting the "corrupt join" error too. I think part of that problem was the group and part of it was the wall. I guess the "work-around" is to make groups without walls in them. (Curtain walls seemed to be ok).

thanks,

-ryan

kevin_s
2011-12-06, 05:09 PM
I currently seem to have trouble with model groups as well. These are residential units with casework, furniture, and plumbing fixtures. Our groups only contain the walls and families for the interior portion of the unit. In other words - no exterior, corridor, or unit separation walls in the group.

We cannot copy or mirror the model groups without getting an error message prompting to Fix Groups. Could it be because a good number of wall-hosted families are adjacent to the corridor wall not part of the model group? I thought Revit had the capability of having those family elements "rehost" to any wall outside of the group? Any suggestions?

Looks like as opposed to the posts below, I may need to ADD walls to my group? :)