PDA

View Full Version : Aligning Dimensions

Merlin
2005-01-19, 10:42 PM
This is curious.....
In 6.1 I was used to dimensions snapping to align alongside existing dimensions (so you get a "running" line of dimensions....I just created a series of dimensions in a section view running between level lines/markers so I could lock all floor levels together for a vertical move....The move carried out beautifully however , I noticed each dimension was not snapping to align with the previous dimension (no matter how close I dragged the new one towards the old one) ....Is there a setting that I need to activate?

John Mc

beegee
2005-01-19, 10:50 PM
Can't recreate that problem. ( using 7.0 )

There is no setting, it's Revit automatic. ( Revmatic ? )
You get a green dashed line showing alignment in either plan or section views.

Merlin
2005-01-19, 10:56 PM
.......You get a green dashed line showing alignment in either plan or section views.

Yes, that's what I'm used to...I've always found the green dashed line comes on to make alignments easy.....but in this case, nothing.....If you can imagine, it's like making a line of linear dimensions in AutoCAD with the snaps turned off....maybe I need to spray this view with Mortein to get rid of an anomolous bug!.....I'll try deleting the Section view and recreating it....I'll keep you posted
John Mc

beegee
2005-01-19, 11:08 PM
Try closing and reopening Revit and then start a new clean file to see if the problem persists. If it does, post that file and we'll see if it happens on our machines also.

Merlin
2005-01-19, 11:29 PM
I deleted that section view and recreated another....same thing....by the way, I can get them to all align if I continuously select each line i.e. click "dimension" then select line 1, then line, 2, then line 3 etc......it's after having created one dimension, THEN creating and placing another to align with the previously created one.

The fact that it's easily worked around doesn't make it a major problem for me, but I was curious, as it could be a problem in the future. If I was to amend/add dimensions to an existing string, of course, it's necessary that they align with existing ones
John Mc

JamesVan
2005-01-20, 04:14 AM
I've tested this and the behavior happens when my snaps are turned off. Please check your Snaps under the Settings menu.

Merlin
2005-01-20, 04:26 AM
I've tested this and the behavior happens when my snaps are turned off. Please check your Snaps under the Settings menu.
Hi James,
I had my end-point and mid-point snaps on; interesting thought though. I'll try it with all snaps on and see what happens
John Mc

Merlin
2005-01-20, 04:51 AM
James,

THAT WAS IT!.....Apparently it's a snaps issue....strange because I tried to manually enter the perpendicular snap when I first noticed this issue.....but now with all snaps set on it works!

It's always something simple that gets in the way!
John Mc