PDA

View Full Version : Rooms Under Stairs

jcoe
2011-11-28, 08:11 PM
How is everyone handling rooms that exist under stairs (i.e. storage, closet, half-bath...)?

In the attached image, the room separation line keeps dividing the space (as expected). What I would like is for the stair to report the area above the storage room and I want the storage room to report the portion of the area under the stair.

Using the current tools, I cannot seem to find a way to accomplish this.

Thoughts?

antman
2011-11-29, 05:03 PM
I haven't tried this myself, but perhaps creating a level just above the ceiling of the storage room, and placing the room of the stair at that level? After placement, you can cut a section and drag the bottom of the room down into the cut plane of the floor plan, or maybe create a plan region with a higher cut plane, so it shows up and you can tag it.

jcoe
2011-11-29, 05:11 PM
Anthony -

I like the thought, but the only issue I see is with scheduling. Because we schedule our rooms by level with a heading, the stair would show up as being associated with something other than "First Floor". If I can manage a way around this (filters maybe), I think this might work. I'll have to test it out and let you know how it works.

jcoe
2011-11-30, 04:21 PM
Anthony -

Your idea did work. What I did was create a level for Stair Landing and re-associated my Stair room to that level, went to section view, used room grips to pull extents of the room down.

The key is that the associated level of the stair must be above one of the storage room walls. In my case, one of the walls stopped at the underside of the landing.

This resolved my room square footage issue; however, as mentioned earlier, this does not help with the Room Finish Schedule. The level associated with the Stair room shows up as my heading "Stair Landing". I tried some filtering but this did not change anything as far as the headers go.

antman
2011-11-30, 06:39 PM
My only thought to deal with the scheduling is to create a project parameter for rooms and manually assign values, and schedule by that instead of by level. Of course, you could still assign the same name as the level. Unfortunately, this solution sounds like a lot of extra work.