PDA

View Full Version : Existing Column joined to New Wall

teddyhuyck
2011-11-29, 05:44 PM
I have a phase/wall/column issue. Existing architectural columns (column wraps) that are intersected by New Construction walls appear in my demo drawings incorrectly (see Fig.).

In the New construction drawings I have a wall that merges with the column wrap (see Fig.).

I'd love for Revit to separate the phases appropriately and not join these two. I've gone into the Column family and unchecked "Automatically join" (see Fig.)... to no avail. Any thoughts? One really old post from 2004 asked about the same question and had no answers. I can't be the only one to have encountered this?

jeffh
2011-11-30, 03:24 PM
I've gone into the Column family and unchecked "Automatically join" (see Fig.)... to no avail. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately unchecking the "Automatically join" checkmark in the family editor will not affect any columns that are already placed. If they joined when they were placed they stay joined. (Ironically the reverse works. If the family was set to not join and then changed and reloaded into the project, all of columns already placed will join to the walls.)
Once you have un-checked the "automatically join" option and reloaded the column family you will need to delete and replace the colums in order to get them to behave as you expect.

You can cut and paste the columns into the same position and they will not join, but the line of the wall will show through the column which is probably not what you want.