PDA

View Full Version : Windows in Curved Walls?????

MoRGaN_sh
2011-12-01, 07:56 AM
hi

How could you place a windows in a curved wall? suppose i wish the curvature of the wall affect the windows shape. :mrgreen: i dont want to use curtain system!! :shock:

For a better understanding i place attach files! ;)

ttiefenbach
2011-12-01, 01:39 PM
These are complex families, but it can be done.
First and foremost you need to have Reference Lines for all your geometry that is round. The reference lines will be circles and must be dimensioned with parameters that will change with the radius. You'll only need a single parameter for, say, the wall radius and when you place the family you set that parameter to adjust the window. Since the reference lines are circles, you can't dimension from them, for example, your outside wall radius is 10'-0", you want the front of the mullion at 2" behind that, that means you need a parameter that calculates the mullions radius at wall radius-2".

Once you have all the reference lines in their you should be good to go creating your family. Another note is that the opening will not work since youre putting this in a round wall. Instead, use a void, constrained to your reference lines to cut the wall.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-12-01, 03:24 PM
If the window is of a known radius I wouldn't bother making it parametric. Unless you do this sort of window all the time and require it for a variety of conditions I would just make it the required dimensions and be done with it.

ttiefenbach
2011-12-01, 03:41 PM
If the window is of a known radius I wouldn't bother making it parametric. Unless you do this sort of window all the time and require it for a variety of conditions I would just make it the required dimensions and be done with it.

In which case you might as well do an in-place family. However, I still don't recommend that simply because the idea with Revit is the ability to change things on the fly and by nt making it parametric you'll be giving yourself a headache later if the radius changes, or you need to copy it.

MoRGaN_sh
2011-12-03, 10:43 AM
I am very grateful for the information!
so sorry for writing english wrong.:( this site is all i have to get my answers so please help me!!!! .:?
i tried to build a new window family but i could't build curved wall in the first palce to built my window in it!
I really appreciate If you can place a file for better understanding to me here !

TNX GUYS.:lol:

Mike Sealander
2011-12-03, 12:44 PM
We do a lot of curved walls with windows, so this is a problem that interests me. It's rare to find curved glass on the projects I do, so the big issue is whether a custom window has a radiused sill and head, or not, and what is the behavior of the jambs relative to the rough opening. Because planar windows will often be able to get hosted in a curved wall, so far I've mostly just used planar windows.

ttiefenbach
2011-12-05, 03:16 AM
i tried to build a new window family but i could't build curved wall in the first palce to built my window in it!

You can't build a curved wall in the family to test your family, you just have to keep loading it into a project to test it. I've created a window like this in the past with LOTS of trial and error, but can't seem to find where I put it. I'll do some more digging around for it, if you think it'll help more.

MoRGaN_sh
2011-12-12, 05:57 AM
I've created a window like this in the past with LOTS of trial and error, but can't seem to find where I put it. I'll do some more digging around for it, if you think it'll help more.

TNX , waiting impatiently! :mrgreen:

ttiefenbach
2011-12-12, 11:55 AM
TNX , waiting impatiently! :mrgreen:

See attached. This will hopefully get you started in the right direction. Yours might not be this complex, but mine needed to be. Use LOTS of Reference Lines to adjust angles and the roundness.