PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Curved UV grid?

damon.sidel
2011-12-02, 09:04 PM
Is it possible to get a UV grid to do something like the attached? We have a project in which this happens quite a bit. The competition was done in Rhino but now that we have the project, there is a chance we'll do it in Revit. I'd love to try to use the Conceptual Massing tools for the shell of the building, but only if I can get this to work.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-12-02, 09:22 PM
Turn off your U and V grids and divide the surface using 'intersects'.
Check the help file for info.
Basically you draw what you want to see in elevation and project the lines onto the mass surface.

damon.sidel
2011-12-05, 03:31 PM
I know how to do that, for sure, and that would be one way. However, I'd have to figure out the spacing manually and if I wanted the curved-surface to flex, I'd have to either move the curves manually or set up some parameters.

I'm looking for the isocurves of the surface, which is a basic mathematical construct of UV-grid surfaces. Any thoughts?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-12-06, 05:47 PM
The only way Revit will do that automatically is if the surface is out of plumb. As soon as you 'warp' the plane, it divides this way.
As you suggest the math is pretty simple on this so the only approach I could see is to create a 'spline through points', copy that vertically so you have the number of divisions (control points ) you want for dividing the surface and then drive those points with an adaptive component placed vertically at the intersections. Simple division of the overall height should get you what you're after.

damon.sidel
2011-12-06, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Dimitri. I'll give it a try. Since Revit does what I want on a "warped" surface as you say, it would be nice if you could choose to follow the isocurves of the surface or just divide it orthogonally.

Rodger
2012-04-26, 01:19 PM
I am trying to use a curved and sloping surface to create a curtain wall to be used as a continuous sunscreen. The idea is that he horizontal mullions can be trubular to form the sunscreen. However, the mullions don't follow the curvature of the curtain wall, but form a straight line from end to end. Any thoughts on fixing this?

damon.sidel
2012-04-27, 01:56 PM
Hi, Rodger. Welcome to the forums for your first post.

Can you post an image of what you are getting or better yet a sketch of what you want to accomplish?