PDA

View Full Version : 2012 TITLE BLOCKS

Charles Karl
2011-12-21, 04:00 AM
Our firm will be switching to Revit from Archicad before the end of the year, and I would like to get a jump on a few items to include in our template.
I have read that one should not link in anything that still has autocad text within the file, what is the best practice for constructing a company title block in Revit?

Chuck

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-12-21, 07:29 AM
Welcome to Revit and the forums.
You'll want to recreate your title blocks as Revit families. You can import your current title blocks (in dwg format) into a new titleblcok family and us them as the basis for your new Revit tblocks. DON'T EXPLODE THEM!
Once you've recreated the line work using native Revit tools and placed your labels (text parameters) then you can delete the DWG and load the family into your projects.
A small word of advice... be sure to use one of the templates for a specific sheet size. You can always adjust the size of the border but be sure to keep the origin (the bottom left corner of the sheet boundary) in the same place for all your sheet sizes. It will make swapping out different sizes easier down the road.
Good luck.

Revitaoist
2011-12-21, 04:37 PM
The text issue you are referring to is that revit cannot translate Mtext from autocad, so it needs to be exploded before importing. As Demitri says, you do not want to explode DWG files inside Revit because tons of information comes into Revit with the DWG, bloating your file. My method for converting DWG's breaks this rule, though, here's how I do it:

1. Insert your DWG into a titleblock family.
2. Explode the DWG
3. Convert all linework to Revit line types.
4. Convert all text to Revit text Style.
5. Copyclip all lines and text into a NEW titleblock family

You see, copyclipping the revit lines and text into a fresh file ditches all the DWG information bloating the file. The next thing you need to look into is shared parameters, because if you make a parameter in a titleblock family, e.g. 'AP#' as a project information parameter, you need shared parameters to get the project and the family on the same page.