PDA

View Full Version : Line based text - remove text masking?

blumarble
2012-01-03, 03:23 PM
I have just created a text based line type that we use for indicating rated walls on our floor plans. It's actually a series of diamond symbols based on NCS Standards. The problem with this is the text masking; it's obscuring parts of the walls such that the wall now appears as a series of dashed lines. I can't seem to find a way of removing the text masking to let the walls appear continuous. Is this not possible? It also seems that I can't change the draw order sending it to the back. I'm also open to any ideas for alternative ways to accomplish the same thing. Thanks.

greg.mcdowell
2012-01-03, 05:34 PM
You've tried setting the text to transparent I assume?

If you're just dealing with diamonds you could draft them as a nested family instead of dealing with text.

Or, and I think a more BIM approach, make a custom drafting fill pattern and embed it into your wall type so it shows up automatically. Not exactly NCS but better BIM (NCS wasn't written for BIM anyway).

damon.sidel
2012-01-03, 06:36 PM
Would a repeating detail work?

blumarble
2012-01-04, 06:20 PM
Setting the text "transparent" removed the masking. But after trying several other approaches, we decided that the repeating detail method accomplished what we wanted and was simplest to use.
Embedding a fill pattern is not an option, we're trying to get users to stop making up their own standards as they go along; we want to establish a consistent standard (NCS), then we'll open the discussion for making modifications. Thanks for your help.