PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Level Project

snowocean
2012-01-10, 11:34 PM
Curently working on a project that has 'tiered' within levels. So you walk in the first floor and there is roughly 5,000sy at 100'-0", and then a slight drop for an additional 7,500sf.....around 98'-0". next to that there is a level of 500 sf that sits at 96'-6". At the other end of the space that sits at 100'-0" there is a drop to 98'3". These drops are connected by 3-4 steps and ramp. The second level sits at 117'-0" and has a very similar layout with 2-3 tiers.

Anyone have recomendations on how to handle this? The BIM manager at my office has suggested created a level within revit for each tier. My issue with this is all the levels that will have to be turned off when cutting a section. Its not an easy thing to undo either since deleting a level deletes all the objects hosted to it. I don't have a strong argument against creating these levels, but I wanted to get some input here in terms of best practice before heading in that direction?

Anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve_Stafford
2012-01-11, 01:31 AM
Inclined to agree with your BIM person. The shallow depth of the other floors seem to be of sufficiently large to justify plans of their own. It will probably easier to manage the elevation of elements with levels than to dial in specific offsets for every element instead.

The section and elevations should not be too hard to clean up for decent docs. Between the 3d/2d options and scope boxes you ought to be able to sort things out.

Overall plans may be tricky and required plan regions depending how "old school" you are expected to be abstract about how the plans look despite each level not really being at the same elevation.

Good luck!

LP Design
2012-01-11, 04:05 PM
In my firm we no longer show levels in any printed views. Instead we use elevation callouts for the relevant objects. This allows you to have numerous levels that provide the functionality you are looking for without cluttering your views. We also made a non-printing elevation view specifically to work with the project levels.

This workflow is also scalable. You can have only 3 or 4 levels for your floor heights, or you can have a whole list of them to control ceiling height, plumbing fixture & casework heights, soffits, partial height partitions, roof bearings, parapets, whatever. Just my $0.02.

-LP

snowocean
2012-01-11, 05:55 PM
Cool. Thanks!

It shouldn't be too bad.......I mostly was getting nightmarish flashbacks to my first project in revit. We ended up creating new levels for just about everything and it got out of hand pretty fast. Lessons learned.

pfaudler
2012-01-11, 11:52 PM
Levels (some not plan making if require) would be better in the long run. Also, you can place intermediate levels on a separate workset and have that workset "not visible" by default. This way you will not see tiered levels in new section/ele views.