PDA

View Full Version : Information extraction for a annotation label

The Monk
2012-01-17, 11:26 PM
What I want to od is create an annotation label that will see a length setting and report it to the label for display. The obvious issue is the text parameter and length parameters are different animals. So, how do you extract the lengh information from a parameter and have it report to a text parameter?

I've performed this process in writing an AutoLISP routine. But I'm at a loss to do the same thing in Revit. Is this a programming issue?

Need help from some of you smarter people out there,

John

Alex Page
2012-01-18, 02:18 AM
Does the "Length" information you require reside within a family (ie: a cabinet) or a system family (ie:a wall)?

The Monk
2012-01-23, 06:21 PM
There are two pieces of information I am trying to extract to either a tag or a label. The peice of geometery I'm working with is an electrical outlet where I was able to create a label which allows the end user to select between a new device, existing device, etc. When a specific type is selected a label letter is displayed. However, if I tag the device I cannot get the Placement Height paramter to display in the tag.

I've tried making the tag using a shared parameter. What I get is an error message of inconsistant uints. Maybe this is an issue with electrical objects. I've been able to create labels and tags for information disply for 2D objects. Are 3D family objects just too different?

Alex Page
2012-01-23, 07:49 PM
This should be easy. I assume that the "Placement Height" parameter within the family is one you have created and are using it to lift the fixture off the floor?
If this is a shared parameter within the family as well as the tag then it should work as you require. Can you upload the family and tag for me to look at?

The Monk
2012-01-23, 08:51 PM
Thanks Alex,

I was able to get it working for the intended workflow. As you may know the electrical fixtures family rft file has a placement height parameter loaded a part of that template. And in the case I am working the primary user had adjusted one of the Revit Outlet family objects for their use.

When I got the file they had nested a Generic Annotation file with lables and that was the disconnect. What I ended up doing on my end was unloading the generic label family objects. Replace the family parameter (Placement Height) with a shared parameter and creating a shared parameter for the notation requirements.

I created a tag with the shared parameters and a few other settings. The whole thing is now working correctly. I allowed myself the bad habit of trying to think it through from an AutoCAD point of view. What an "ah-ha" moment. Such a simple solution.

Thanks again for your help,