PDA

View Full Version : Buried Window Frame Behind stone or brick

d_lee.162829
2012-01-19, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been asking a tone of questions and want to just say thanks for all the help. My latest question has to deal with how walls are cut when windows are placed in them. I have a wall that is made up of 3" metal insulated panel, 2" air that has structural tees that support huge 2 1/2" thick stone panels. Now when we put windows in the wall, the wall is cut by default to the frame. However, the frame needs to be put behind the stone, so in elevation, you only see the glass. Any thoughts? Thanks. I know you could cut the profile of the wall and then manually move it, but that's time consuming and doesn't fix the head/sill of the window. Thanks!

sbrown
2012-01-19, 08:36 PM
You need to modify the window family to use a void to cut the wall, not the opening tool. This will let you create a void shape(2 extrusions) to cut the wall the way you want. Create ref. planes in plan of teh window to control the location of the frame and the void cuts.

d_lee.162829
2012-01-23, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I will try that out. I wonder why they just didn't make a default window to bury the jambs behind?