PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Linked Structural File with Mystery Walls

Mike B
2012-01-21, 05:09 PM
When I link in the structural engineer's model, some errant walls show up. It looks as if someone copied the stair tower walls and pasted them 20 feet plan south. If I open the structural model, the misplaced walls do not appear in plan view. I can see the curtain wall portions in a 3D view, but the adjacent host walls do not appear. I thought maybe something was corrupt in my file, so I created a new clean file and linked in the structural file with the same results. The structural model had quite a few CAD files linked in and one other Revit file. I stripped all of those out, ran an audit, and did a purge. But the walls still show up in the architectural model. Any ideas?

For the record, this project started out in 2009 versions and had some complex phases. We had the same problem previously, but it was on a much smaller scale and we could work around the issue.

LP Design
2012-01-26, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Since you mentioned complex phases I would start there before anything else. Check through the structural model for walls that may have been placed incorrectly on previous phases. It could also be that elements on an existing phase were not demolished correctly. If you still can't find the errant walls, try creating a new 3D view and play with the phase filters. Depending on your project, you may be able to combine lots of previous phases into a single "existing" phase which may simplify things.

Hope this helps,
-LP

greg.mcdowell
2012-01-26, 11:33 PM
I've had the same problems... never did figure it out. In the end I just manually hid them... in every view (yuck).

LP Design
2012-01-27, 03:30 PM
There is another option that has worked for me in the past. See if you can tab thru and determine which wall family/type the weird walls fall under. Then go to the struct model and find that type in the project browser. Right-click and select all instances in entire project. Open a 3D view and de-select everything with a crossing window.

In the properties dialog you should see a certain number of walls still selected, even though nothing is selected in your plan. These are the "ghost" walls which you can now delete. Just be darn sure that you are de-selecting everything that you want to keep, especially if your project still has lots of phases. You may have to have a view open for each phase, and de-select in each view before hitting delete.

I've used this method before to get rid of stuff in the project browser that won't go away even with the purge tool.

:beer: Best of luck,
-LP