PDA

View Full Version : Topographical Surface Patterns

funkman
2003-10-20, 05:04 AM
So I try to add a surface pattern to a topo surface so I dont have to keep on printing in colour. I want to show a pattern that is say, similar to sand in a HL view.

Revit says you cant add surface patterns to topo surfaces? I am sure there is a reason, but I certainly cant think why?

Anyone have a workaround besides having to do filled regions, which seems to me to be a cop-out.

beegee
2003-10-20, 05:38 AM
Yes, it would be useful to assign a topo surface pattern that was visible in plan view. It must have something to do with the potential complexity of applying a pattern to a complex undulating surface, which could stretch and compress the basic fabric of the pattern so that it becomes unrecognizable. ( Now someone will tell me that you can do it in ADT/Archicad/Microstation or Chief Architect , and I'll loose all my mirth , wherfore I know not )
The only workaround I know is the one you mentioned - fill region.

sbrown
2003-10-20, 02:00 PM
The reason is processing that pattern would be incredible, revit has to project the pattern toward the camera, from a wall that is a flat plane to project from imagine all the small surface revit would have to calculate. Is it possible, yes, would your machine freeze up, yes.

It would be a nice feature but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. I could be wrong, but I was amazed the revit could process surface patterns on roofs so well.