PDA

View Full Version : 3D Autocad to Revit in place mass

d_lee.162829
2012-01-25, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I recently downloaded a 3D model in autocad of a belinni chair. It's the exact chair I'm looking for but since it has so many surfaces, the in-place mass won't apply materials to the face. What would you guys do? Peace.

D

greg.mcdowell
2012-01-25, 11:22 PM
Isolate each material on its own layer in AutoCAD. Be sure there are not object overrides. Bring the file into a furniture family (or whatever category you choose) and control materials via Object Styles.

Revitaoist
2012-01-26, 12:02 AM
I reverse engineer manufacturer created content and create a stripped down simplified version from scratch.

d_lee.162829
2012-01-26, 12:50 AM
I will first try to isolate and then if that doesn't go well, we'll try a simplified version from scratch. Thanks!

cliff collins
2012-01-26, 05:00 PM
Don't try to convert to a Mass--Masses are for large-scale, overall building form--not for furniture.

I agree with the two other posts:

1. "re-engineer in Revit"--best; but most time consuming.

2. Import into a Furniture Family and use Object Styles to control Materials, etc,.

MikeJarosz
2012-01-26, 05:15 PM
I was once given an Inventor file to bring into Revit. It was a trading room console. Every nut, bolt, screw and washer was present and accounted for. I got it into Revit using a SAT file, but it took up so much horsepower, I redrew it in native Revit and discarded the SAT.

Moral: a free download can cause more trouble than it's worth! Always be suspicious of free families from unknown sources. They may be dimensionally inaccurate, over modeled or just plain wrong. And for that matter, I'm not so confident in the paid families, either.