PDA

View Full Version : 2012 metric shortcut icon

gugg
2012-01-27, 04:03 PM
I had the AutoCAD 2012 Metric shortcut ICON on my desktop and deleted it. Now that I am working a metric job I need the convenience of the shortcut icon. Can somebodt help me create a usable METRIC icon. My guess is that it automaitcally starts the opening session in metric mode with a metric template. Thanks.

heinsite
2012-01-27, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure what your "metric icon" was, but can't you do the same thing by creating a metric template, setting it up as your QNEW, and always firing up AutoCAD using it? Or did I miss the point completely?

Dave.

gugg
2012-01-28, 01:00 AM
Qnew? So, I create a template with a blank metric file and save to use as the starting drawing. What I'm also doing is importing a MicroStation 1:50 metric file and detailing it in AutoCAD all in Modelspace. So after importing it I scale it up 50 times with the settings at millemeters.
Thanks Dave.
Al

heinsite
2012-01-28, 06:33 AM
Yup. Once you have a template set up go into Options > Files > Template Settings > Default Template Filename for QNEW. Then anytime you start a new drawing with the QNEW command it will open with this template. If you open a file with the NEW command or from the Application Menu NEW command you'll still be able to choose other templates.

Dave.

jaberwok
2012-01-28, 10:16 AM
You already have template - ACADISO.DWT is the most basic one.

gugg
2012-01-28, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I'll set that up and also tri the ISO template. What I was hoping to do is copy the AutoCAD-2012 ICON on the desktop and program it for starting in METRIC mode like it was when installed. I deleted the ICON. Thanks again.

jaberwok
2012-01-28, 10:58 PM
Thanks. I'll set that up and also tri the ISO template. What I was hoping to do is copy the AutoCAD-2012 ICON on the desktop and program it for starting in METRIC mode like it was when installed. I deleted the ICON. Thanks again.

Desktop icon - right-click icon, select COPY, right-click desktop, select PASTE (not paste shortcut). Right-click new icon, select PROPERTIES, edit the TARGET line to include /t and the path to the template file.

For more help, search "switches" in acad's Help and select "switches, customizing startup with".