PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical IP Family

stuntmonkee
2005-01-24, 04:20 PM
I'm having a visibility problem with mechanical equipment that I have built in the project.

For some reason the family shows up through everything. For example, this is all build on the 4th floor, but it shows up on the 3rd floor. . .or in section it shows, but it's in a building that I'm not even cutting through.

I have messed with the visibility, and view range. And the only way that I can get it to quit showing is if I turn it off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stunts. . . .

I'll post a few images to show you what I'm talking about. . . . . . . . . . . .time passing. . . . . . . . . .still passing. . . . . . . .

OK, there are 3 images. I highlighted each in red to show you the problem areas.

In the fire view (plan) this is the 3rd level, and all of these units are drawn 17' higher than the third floor. There are some units that are not highlighted over to the right a bit, but these are on the third floor, so those are OK.

Now, In section1, you can see the units that are on the third floor in the background, but they are cutting through a wall that is over 100' in front of it, not to mention that they are concealed in a whole diff building beyond.

In section2, the 2 units are actually behind the cut plane. If you look at the plan, this section is the middle longitude section looking down, and these units are above it.

This sucks. . .frustrating.

Scott D Davis
2005-01-24, 04:47 PM
Stunts,

You built these as in-place families, or as RFA's? In either case, is there anything in the family that would cross the cut plane? A ref plane, dimension, anything visible or not. Anything in a family that crosses a section cut line, elevation cut line, or plan cut, will cause the family to show in that view.

stuntmonkee
2005-01-24, 05:08 PM
gotcha, I understand what your saying, it just doesnt make sence on why it would do that.

So basicaly, if I was drawing a train that was going away from me, and it was 500' long, and 200' down the road it turned right and went into a tunnel. If I was cutting a section through the last car, I would still see the rest of the train through the tunnel?

Is this a glitch, or is there some reason I would ever want this to happen?

Scott D Davis
2005-01-24, 05:13 PM
something like that...but more importantly in Revit families, its the things you don't see that cause problems.

People have reported having a door family, where the 'flip' direction arrows in the door family were cut by a section line, and the door showed up in section. This is true for almost anything in a family: ref planes, invisible lines, dimensions, etc.

Remember the 'trick' in earlier versions to make a clerestory window show in a plan? Open the window family and draw an invisible line down to the ground level from the window. The plan cut would cut the invisible line, and then show the window, even though none of the 'real' geometry was cut.

stuntmonkee
2005-01-24, 05:34 PM
gotcha, thanks.