PDA

View Full Version : Revit File Cannot Sync after users machine crashed

markusb
2012-02-07, 05:55 PM
We have 4 users working on a project, 1 of the users machine crashed. After his machine crashed nobody else was able to do any work because his machine had somehow checked everything out. When he rebooted he was able to sync with central and relenquish everything. 1 other person was able to sync with central after this, but 2 people got the attached error message.

Any ideas to solve the problem? The other 2 people have work that they need to get into the central file, and it would be a huge pain to copy and paste.

Thanks!

Yman
2012-02-07, 09:22 PM
I don't think you have any way out of this one. Once it rolls back you can't save stuff from the other computers. You have to create a whole new local file from the new central file. I have never got it to work. Sorry.

Yman

MikeJarosz
2012-02-07, 09:55 PM
Same here.

You must condition your team to STC often, so that the differences between the locals and the central are never too great. Same goes for reload latest. This is what in Revit is called a "teachable moment". They will remember this day.

Whenever this happens, I immediately make a new folder on the server and have everyone COPY their local into it. There is a chance that someone on the team just did a save and reload. You might find some of the lost work in one of the locals. In other words, the locals will not all be equal.

I have also been able to copy and paste by loading two files into the same Revit session, if the files are not too big. The rescued work can then STC. But don't count on it..........Sometimes it's just easier to start over.

On the WTC, we had a popup instant messenger for all team members. Whenever someone STC, they sent out a message to everyone, so we all knew to save and reload. Revit requires teamwork. None of that solo Acad attitude of the loner in the corner, saving everything to C:\ drive.

BTW, we had our IT group set the network up so that we could access local c:\ drives. We just didn't tell anyone we had that ability.

LP Design
2012-02-14, 08:02 PM
I had a similar issue recently when I had a project open in both Revit Architecture and Revit Structure. (I was dealing with rigid frames... don't ask...) Anyway, structure crashed, and then architecture gave me that message. I was also unable to recover from the problem itself, but I was able to copy and paste the lost work into a new local file and then sync. In the end I only lost about 5 or 10 minutes worth of work, but in my case I was working on a very simple project.

I suggest that you try copy-pasting things before you chalk it up to a total loss.
-LP