PDA

View Full Version : Shared YES/NO Parameter Visiblity Problem

RPU_eric
2012-02-13, 07:56 PM
Hello everyone, I am stuck trying to use a yes/no shared parameter to display text in a tag. What I am trying to accomplish is the following: I have a footing family which I have a Yes/No shared parameter setup in. I would like to pass this yes/no parameter into an associated footing tag which would then control the display of the text in the tag family. Essentially all I am looking to do is add an asterisks (*) to the end of the footing callout. I have added a label to the tag family which correctly grabs the yes/parameter from the associated footing however I can only get the label to display "YES" or "NO" when the box is checked/unchecked.

Where I am really getting stuck is trying to setup another text parameter which will change the shared yes/no parameter entry from the footing family into text. I have read similar posts to this, but they only address how to accomplish this in schedules where you can set up a calculated parameter which would return the correct text needed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this? Am I missing somethings really simple?

Thanks for the advice.

jsteinhauer
2012-02-14, 02:18 PM
Hello everyone, I am stuck trying to use a yes/no shared parameter to display text in a tag. What I am trying to accomplish is the following: I have a footing family which I have a Yes/No shared parameter setup in. I would like to pass this yes/no parameter into an associated footing tag which would then control the display of the text in the tag family. Essentially all I am looking to do is add an asterisks (*) to the end of the footing callout. I have added a label to the tag family which correctly grabs the yes/parameter from the associated footing however I can only get the label to display "YES" or "NO" when the box is checked/unchecked.

Where I am really getting stuck is trying to setup another text parameter which will change the shared yes/no parameter entry from the footing family into text. I have read similar posts to this, but they only address how to accomplish this in schedules where you can set up a calculated parameter which would return the correct text needed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this? Am I missing somethings really simple?

Thanks for the advice.

Eric,

A Yes/No parameter is like a light switch. It turns things on and off. It can not control text, unless you have another parameter with a formula. If all you want to do is add and asterisks, I would setup two labels on top of one another. One would be just the label, and the other would have the label & an asterisks in the suffix box of the label properties. You would need two Y/N parameters, probably as Type Based, with a formula to turn one off/on based on the other (see below).

Show A
Show B = not(Show A)

Hope this helps,
Jeff S.