PDA

View Full Version : How do you make an oval window?

wfdesigns
2003-10-21, 01:43 AM
I saw somewhere while surfing, how to make an oval with circles. I know this is probably a simple geometric formula, but I have seemed to have forgotten it :oops: . Any and all help would be appreciated. Trying to make a horizontal wide oval window. Thanks

beegee
2003-10-21, 01:48 AM
Isn't it amazing what you can pick up out in the waves ? ( Like a good punch-up if you drop in :cry: )

RUGI (www.rugi.org/cgi-bin/windowsexch.pl) has oval windows which you could use/adapt for your purposes.

I also have a file for drawing elipses if you're interested, let me know.

wfdesigns
2003-10-21, 02:01 AM
I saw the types on RUGI but none were horizontal--36" wide x 24" tall, and they wouldn't let me rotate them. If your template will rotate 90 Deg. I would like to see if I could get that from you or if you have any suggestions on how to rotate an existing, would be lots of help.

beegee
2003-10-21, 02:16 AM
OK, here's the elipse maker file.

I havn't used it ( if you take a peek, you'll probably see why ) and I can't remember how it works, which ain't helpful.

Like a lot of these files, I also can't remember who made it.

Now, what was your name again and where did I put those memory pills ?

wfdesigns
2003-10-21, 02:21 AM
Well your alot of help, can't rember anything! :lol: No, realy thanks alot and I'll let you know if I figure it out.
WF

wfdesigns
2003-10-21, 02:31 AM
Who am I Wher aM i At If you find those memory pills send me a few!!!Please

After looking at that I know what your saying now! I don't know where to start.

wfdesigns
2003-10-21, 02:46 AM
Found out that it will make the smallest ellipse of 3'-2" x 6'-2"---unsure of metric, but anyway not quite small enough.

beegee
2003-10-21, 03:02 AM
OK,

You made me feel real bad, so heres the spele for creating an ellipse in Revit.

While Revit does not have a tool explicitly for creating ellipses, a convincing ellipse can be created with a little preparation. The first step is to lay out a rectangle whose width is twice its height. Then bisect the rectangle and sketch in the diagonals shown. At the intersection of the diagonals of one half of the rectangle, draw an arc whose radius is one half the size of the square, and which begins and ends at the diagonals. Mirror/copy this arc to the other end. For the top and bottom segments, sketch an arc from the midpoint of the bottom of the rectangle, and which begins and ends at the arcs previously sketched.

I tried posting the link for this, but it don't go where it should !

wfdesigns
2003-10-21, 03:08 AM
The link sent me to a search so I typed in ellipse and the tutorial came up.

You are the BEST!!!! :D :D :D
That was exactly what I was looking for.
I knew I saw it somewhere.
Sorry about making you feel bad, that wasn't my intention!
I actually figured that other file out. Enter sizes into family types, and it produces what appears to be 1/4 of the ellipse, so justmirror other 3 sides. I think that is how it works, but still not as small as I needed.

Thank you so much again.
WF

sbrown
2003-10-21, 01:28 PM
If you have a cad program that can make an ellipse, go to it and make the shape you want then import it into revit(family) and make your window from that, I fought it for a long time, but if its easier right now to use acad.

John K.
2003-10-27, 04:13 PM
Please re-post link for tutorial on ovals. I read the thread but didn't see a URL.

Thanks and best,

jk

beegee
2003-10-28, 01:00 AM
Its one of the glitchiest site around, and its down again (surprise )

I'll post it when its back up.

Update:- Its still down. Its one of the old revit.com sites. I suspect its being moved across to ADesk , or else it fell through a crack in the floor boards.