PDA

View Full Version : Elevation tag location in plan

ctc
2012-02-21, 03:20 PM
An elevation tag is unlike other annotations in that once placed in a plan view in a particular location, it is visible in all other plan views in that same location. Yes you can hide it in any particular view, but a problem occurs when you want to see that elevation tag in more than one plan view of differing scales.

When I create a building elevation on a site plan who scale is 1"=20'-0", I locate the tag an appropriate distance away from the building model, dimensions, and text so as to make the drawing more legible and visually pleasing.

When I then create a floor plan who scale is 1/4" = 1'-0", the elevation tag is much too far away from the building model, dimensions, and text to be useful for that drawing. If I move the elevation tag closer to correct this, then it interferes with the building model, dimensions, and text of the site plan.

The only workaround that I am aware of is to hide the visibility of building elevation tags in all plans except the site plan. Has anyone else found a way to deal with this so that the elevation tag can be visible in more than one plan view of differing scales and be a practical graphical distance away from the building geometry, dimensions, and text in each one?

LP Design
2012-03-02, 02:38 AM
I haven't tried this but you may be able to use "reference other view" like you would for drafting views, so only the site plan would have the real callouts. On a side note, it may be unnecessary to reference the same elevations in many different views. I would suggest taking a new look at your drawing set as a whole and evaluating readability/constructability with the callouts in only 1 or 2 plans. If it works, then the workaround you describe just becomes SOP.

Hope this helps,
-LP

Alex Page
2012-03-02, 04:28 AM
Like LP said - this is what I do

Say most of your documentation plans are at 1:100. Position the elevation marker in correct place at that scale.
Change the "Hide at Scales Courser than" to 1:100
then, for any 1:200, or smaller scales, the elevation markers will be hidden
then place new Elevation with "Reference Other View" ticked (referenced to the correct view) and put where it is suitable

ctc
2012-03-08, 04:49 PM
Brilliant workaround! Thank you.