PDA

View Full Version : Revit Architecture Reinstallation to separate folders

cjcarch
2012-02-22, 05:58 AM
Does anyone know of a website or forum post that would help me in reinstalling Revit Architecture 2012 to separate folders?

I'm still a pretty inexperienced user and just had my computer rebuilt and then I installed Revit.
After speaking with a more experience user, it seems that I should be considering uninstalling Revit and then reinstalling Revit in separate folders to make my life with Revit easier.

I've done some searching but can't seem to find articles or forum posts that have suggestions on where to put some of the different parts / files of Revit. I've found posts on earlier versions of Revit but I'm not sure that they're still applicable (most of these posts were from 2006-2008).

I don't want to make an overly complex file structure system but I do want to try and avoid headaches down the road.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Carl

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-02-22, 05:14 PM
Hi Carl,
what arguments did your 'experienced user' present to you? What aspects of your Revit life would be made easier?
By separate folders are you talking about program files, data files, libraries?
The only thing I can recall that might result in marginally better performance was mapping your paging file to a separate drive.

cjcarch
2012-02-22, 10:11 PM
Hi Dimitri,
Thanks for your response.
I've installed a 120 GB Solid State Drive and have installed Revit, Autocad, and Windows on that drive. I've installed all my project specific files on a mirrored RAID drive.

In trying to recollect my conversation with the other Revit user, I'm thinking that he was speaking about installing the library files on the RAID drive.

I've created a directory on my RAID drive for CC Revit Standards, which is where I store my personal templates and Revit content (families, etc.)

I'm trying to keep it simple and don't want to overcomplicate things but at the same time, I'm willing to divide the Revit files to separate folders if it will help in the long run.
Thanks,
Carl