PDA

View Full Version : Cut/fill lines

al.dietz
2012-02-22, 02:15 PM
How do I outline cut and fill areas in plan view (C3D 2011), preferably with a polyline or a feature line. I need the horizontal surface area of the individual cut/fill areas.

mjfarrell
2012-02-22, 11:48 PM
Select the Corridor
Next to the Launch Pad on the Ribbon
Select EXTRACT objects
Extract the Daylight Lines and any other feature lines you need to create your areas.

jpaulsen
2012-02-23, 02:39 PM
I am not in front of C3D right now so I may be wrong on this. I believe the corridor daylight lines show where the corridor meet existing ground at the edges only and will not show individual areas of cut/fill within the corridor.

The only way I know to get the individual areas is to create a TinVolume surface from the your existing and proposed surfaces and generate contours from that surface. The zero (0) elevation contour is the only one you need.

Sometimes I find it just as easy to set the volume surface style to elevation banding and do an elevation analysis to show cut and fill in two different colors and trace the areas with a polyline.

mjfarrell
2012-02-23, 03:00 PM
I am not in front of C3D right now so I may be wrong on this. I believe the corridor daylight lines show where the corridor meet existing ground at the edges only and will not show individual areas of cut/fill within the corridor.

That would be why I instructed to get ANY other lines they needed, like Hinge Point etc.... to us to define those cut and fill areas.

Also the Zero elevation line of the volume surface would not fully define the area of the cut and or fill areas. It would show where the two surfaces intersect, not the limits of where the cut or fill slopes originated from.
If I'm picturing this correctly.

jpaulsen
2012-02-23, 04:15 PM
You can use the zero elevation contour along with the proposed surface boundary to define the areas. The zero contour generated by C3D is usually broken in pieces and may enclose very small areas that can be ignored. That is why I usually trace either the contours or the elevation banding with polylines.

mjfarrell
2012-02-23, 04:21 PM
You can use the zero elevation contour along with the proposed surface boundary to define the areas. The zero contour generated by C3D is usually broken in pieces and may enclose very small areas that can be ignored. That is why I usually trace either the contours or the elevation banding with polylines.

As I thought, the Zero elevation line alone, does not define the areas.

I think you would find that using the hinge points and daylight lines might prove to be a more direct route.