PDA

View Full Version : Mirror the entire building!!!

MikeJarosz
2012-02-23, 08:13 PM
We have a project that sits freestanding on the site. We finished the CDs a while back. Today, we have been requested to study a total mirror image of the design.

At first I thought it would be easy. Then I realized I would have to mirror every view. With a full set of CDs in the model, that's not so easy.

Any thoughts?

damon.sidel
2012-02-23, 08:18 PM
Could you mirror just the site and then change north?

MikeJarosz
2012-02-23, 08:28 PM
We literally got a call from the client minutes ago. They are contemplating a different site and are wondering how much of the CDs are salvageable. The site is flat and featureless, surrounded by parking lots.

It just occured to me that manipulating coordinates might be one way to do it. That has never been my strong point. I struggle with shared coordinates every time they come up. Judging from the posts I've seen here, I'm not alone!!!!

cliff collins
2012-02-23, 08:38 PM
Have you tried using the "Mirror Project" tool?

damon.sidel
2012-02-23, 08:40 PM
True, that coordinates are not easy, but that would be my suggestion. Or if you don't have any parametric north arrows, you could just rotate your north arrows and rename any views with a north/south/east/west in the title. :) Quite a hack of a way to do it, but might serve.

LP Design
2012-03-22, 06:52 PM
Every time I hear about a suggestion to "just mirror the building" I get the creeping horrors. Fortunately I haven't had to do this yet in Revit, but I am very curious about the results. Cliff, have you been able to successfully use the mirror project tool in the past? If so, what phase was the project at? It is a little hard to believe that a full IFC set was mirrored without great heaping quantities of errors.

-LP

cliff collins
2012-03-22, 06:55 PM
Yes--we have used Mirror Project with success.

If there lots of Groups, with nested Groups inside them, there may be a few issues.

But in general it worked well--we were well past DD on a large hotel job.

MikeJarosz
2012-03-22, 07:32 PM
Update: The client is still exploring site options, so we haven't had to do the big flip yet.

cbalestreri
2012-06-18, 06:36 PM
I just used this command. So far the only real problem has been with wall sections. Some of the detail references shoot of to one side or the other. Nothing that can't be handled. The biggest problem I am having is with the orientation of the wall section. When you mirror the project it flipped these over, and the standard in our office is the exterior of the wall section (or detail) is always on the left-hand side. Old fashioned I know, but it's what we have to do. Even that is a quick fix. All in all, not a bad command. Thanks for the tip Cliff.