PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Uneven Gypsum Board for Interior Partitions: Which side?

bpayne
2012-02-25, 02:50 PM
I need some advise on how best to communicate to the contractor, which side the extra layer of gyp goes in a (1)Gyp/Stud/(2)Gyp wall.

The only suggestion I have been given is to place the wall tag on the same side, but I don't really like how finicky that could be to manage.

formology
2012-02-25, 03:15 PM
This is an interesting problem. My brain is a little slow this morning but one idea that comes to mind might be a face based or wall based family where you set the family visibility to be only in plan view (could even just put symbolic lines in for that view direction in the family) maybe a triangle pointing at that side of the wall. I was thinking that maybe wall hosted things would "remember" which side of the wall they were on such that "flipping" the wall would keep the family on the "interior" or "exterior" side of the wall (which ever it was placed on to begin with) so you wouldn't have to worry about flipping changes to the model but alas, a quick test shows that flipping does not remember the "side" it was placed on. But maybe that will spark some more ideas for you. If i come up with anything that feels like geniusness i'll let you know. :)

Best of Luck,
-Zach

rosskirby
2012-02-26, 02:59 AM
Why does it matter which side the extra layer of gyp goes on?

Mike Sealander
2012-02-26, 11:01 PM
Couple of suggestions:
1. Come up with a rule for why the double gyp should be on one side of the wall or the other, and put a note on the drawings stating the rule.
2. When it matters, cut a quick section through that wall, and indicate which rooms are on which side. So, you'd be putting the extra layer of gyp on the exterior side, for instance, and being careful how you draw your walls.
3. Punt, and as suggested, don't sweat which side it goes on. As far as I know, the acoustic properties of walls is independent of the direction of sound energy through the wall.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-02-27, 02:13 AM
I agree in some cases the side doesn't matter but it can have impact on dimension references and at 1:50 two layers of gyp on both sides of a wall won't look too much different that one layer of gyp on resilient channel and in that case, continuity of the acoustic break may impact assembly performance.
As Mike suggested general notes should cover most conditions. Where they don't a little diligence never hurt anyone ;)
I make it a habit of tagging assemblies from the same side as they read in the wall schedule. i.e if the description in the wall schedule reads Gyp, stud, Gyp, gyp tag it on the single gyp layer side, if it reads the other way tag it that way.
I'm reluctant to rely on the software handling everything automatically. I still prefer users to give some though to how they are doing things. Maybe I'm just old school. (okay, maybe I'm just old)