PDA

View Full Version : applying paint to mass

skyeg3206316
2012-02-29, 01:20 AM
I've built some walls using the model in place command. I don't seem to be able to paint the mass. Is there a way to add surface texture/color to these walls?

I'm tired of these walls being gray!

thanks in advance.

cliff collins
2012-02-29, 02:58 PM
Did you create in-place Walls, or an in-place Mass, and then convert the faces to Walls?

These are 2 very different methods.

Either way, you can apply a Material to the Wall in it's Properties>Edit Structure.

You can also use the Paint tool to place a Material on a Wall.

Masses by default have their own Material. You can change this in Manage>Materials.

cheers

skyeg3206316
2012-03-03, 12:45 AM
The walls were created using the place component> Model in place command. The family category is walls. I never did convert the faces to walls. How do you do this?

When the wall is highlighted and I go to the properties palette I cannot find 'edit structure'

The paint tool does not work to paint the surface of the mass.

I did have a tiny bit of half success!
In the materials box, when I click on default wall, then go to the appearance tab, I am able to pick between checker, gradient, marble, wood etc. and it does change the wall to those appearances but I don't seem to be able to change the color, and make the surface what I wanted to be which would be a painted stucco surface.

How do I get that painted stucco surface onto this wall?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Limbatus
2012-03-05, 10:28 PM
it is my understanding, that although in-place-families, can be placed in the Walls category, it does not turn them into "system familes" live conventionally modeled walls roofs and floors. I do not think you will have access to the assembly features / edit structure if you construct your model this way. have you tried setting up a material parameter to control the materials on your "wall" extrusions?

LP Design
2012-03-27, 06:23 PM
You have to "paint" the faces with a parameter. First edit the in-place family, then create a material parameter. Now use the paint tool and instead of selecting an actual material, select the (param) material you just created. Finish the edit, and now under the properties (or type properties) of the wall family you will be able to change the finish.

-LP