PDA

View Full Version : Designs Options doesn't allow creation of walls in edit mode

Yman
2012-03-02, 06:43 PM
OK, I think I am stumped.

In earlier versions of Revit, while editing a design option, you could grab a wall and edit it then duplicate it and then change the name, properties, etc. and then save it and you have a new wall type. Same thing for windows, etc while editing a design option.

Now in Revit 2012, while editing a design option (in design options) you do the same thing and you get an "No element in a secondary Option can be referenced by an element outside that Option." I am in the design editing mode and have no idea why I keep getting these errors. I have to exit the design option and then duplicate or create a new door/ windows/ etc then go back into the Design Options and then I switch then or place them.

The only other way also is while not in design options is to uncheck the Active Only box in the information bar at the bottom of revit beside the design option dropdowns.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yman

Alfredo Medina
2012-03-02, 09:51 PM
You can create new doors and window types, but no new walls types, if the wall that you are using as a source for the duplicate belongs to an option that is NOT the Primary. Therefore, if you need to create new wall types while working in design options, do that only when the current option is the Primary option.

Yman
2012-03-03, 01:27 PM
I wonder why Autodesk did that? That is the whole thing about Design Options, you are in them to create something different/new. Why would I have to think about what I wanted to do exactly before I went into that option. I thought doors/windows were the same, but it must have just been when I was working between switching from the main to my other design options that I thought a door and window did the same thing. I guess just the walls then. Still hate it. It bugs me when they change something little like that.

Thanks

drubinoff
2014-07-08, 02:06 PM
I wonder why Autodesk did that? That is the whole thing about Design Options, you are in them to create something different/new. Why would I have to think about what I wanted to do exactly before I went into that option. I thought doors/windows were the same, but it must have just been when I was working between switching from the main to my other design options that I thought a door and window did the same thing. I guess just the walls then. Still hate it. It bugs me when they change something little like that.

Thanks

This is still an outstanding issue. I'm trying to duplicate and rename a roof in a design option, and I'm getting this same "secondary option" error. I can't see any logical reason for it. Autodesk, could you please fix this? Why on earth should I have to temporarily create a new roof in the main model, duplicate it, and then erase it?

cr_gixxer
2014-07-10, 10:38 PM
This is still an outstanding issue. I'm trying to duplicate and rename a roof in a design option, and I'm getting this same "secondary option" error. I can't see any logical reason for it. Autodesk, could you please fix this? Why on earth should I have to temporarily create a new roof in the main model, duplicate it, and then erase it?

agreed. as someone who uses design options extensively, it really does slow down the workflow.

drubinoff
2016-03-10, 06:50 PM
I just added the following as a Wish List item:

I work in options quite a bit and constantly receive the following error:

"No element in a secondary Option can be referenced by an element outside that Option."

Huh?

All I was doing was pasting something in from another project while in an option...because I want that element in my option, not in the main model.

Or...

All I was trying to do was duplicate a wall type and modify it to generate a new wall type...a wall that I want in my option. Why should I leave the option in order to create a wall I want in the option?

This makes working in options needlessly cumbersome. In fact, I really can't see why Revit would force a user to exits options just to duplicate a wall type.

Enough of this. Please stop this nonsense. It needlessly interrupts workflow.

Thanks,
Derek Rubinoff, AIA