PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Hide All Finish Materials?

Limbatus
2012-03-02, 06:56 PM
I am starting fabrication for a wood house in about 2 weeks. I am using a 5 layer structural wood wall system, like you see in the attached photo. the cnc shop has asked for a stripped down core model to generate tool paths. Is there a way to hide all of the finish layers in a wall or roof assembly? i'd like to strip my model down to its structural core, to export for fabrication. I'm reluctant to delete these layers, for fear that some wall positions may change.

Yman
2012-03-02, 07:34 PM
You can kind-of do this. Maybe someone has another way but this is what I know really quick.

Go to the view your want to show these changes in and then View Tab < Visibility/ Graphics command (or VV). In the almost bottom right hand corner of the dialog box that popped up you will see the Override Host Layers, and a checkbox for "Cut Line Style". Check the box and then "Edit". Here are how your layers are shown and broken down. Change the Line Color of the layers your don't want to see to White and then select OK. and then OK again to finish the VV command.

Your layers are still there but just white and hide with a white background. If you have fill cut patterns in the walls/ roofs/ etc. then you will need to turn off the visibility of the fill patterns in VV command again. Scroll to walls and then select the override button and then uncheck visible. Then OK and OK to finish command.

This is one way that I know but maybe someone else has a different way.

Hope this is what you need.

Yman

Limbatus
2012-03-02, 09:33 PM
thanks, that's a good solution for 2d plans. i checked it out, and it works very well for my interior gyp walls. The trouble is, our fabricator will be working from an IFC export, and i need the 3d visibility to be stripped to its core. Has anybody had experience with the "make parts" tool. this might be a potential solution, but i'd hate to have to separate each layer from each wall. i think with 236 walls in my model, i'm bound to overlook some.

Revitaoist
2012-03-02, 09:43 PM
This has been a long time issue with revit, as it is standard architectural practice to only show the rough framing on plans, but Revit does not do this. The parts feature is a recent addition and probably does not have all the bugs worked out. Any solution for this will be a "workaround", and would be better to avoid.

cliff collins
2012-03-02, 10:00 PM
You could:

1. Use Parts in Revit 2012, and then hide the Parts of the finishes.

2. Or perhaps a better method would be to model the finishes separately as individual elements,
put them on a workset and turn off, or use a Filter to hide them--and apply the Filter to a View Template.

This IS possible in Revit--you just have to know a few tricks!

cheers

Limbatus
2012-03-03, 12:35 AM
I looked into "make parts" and it created more frustration than solutions. Apparently, you cant make parts out of elements with modified profiles, ie attached walls/roofs. lame limitation if you ask me, considering just about all of my walls are attached to a roof.

tamas
2012-03-26, 09:19 PM
I looked into "make parts" and it created more frustration than solutions. Apparently, you cant make parts out of elements with modified profiles, ie attached walls/roofs. lame limitation if you ask me, considering just about all of my walls are attached to a roof.

I am sorry to hear this. I have not seen such a case. You should be able to create parts from all walls. Can you post an example where it does not work?

Tamas

pfaudler
2012-03-26, 09:55 PM
You could:

2. Or perhaps a better method would be to model the finishes separately as individual elements,
put them on a workset and turn off, or use a Filter to hide them--and apply the Filter to a View Template.

As Cliff says, at this moment in time the best method is to model linning/finish layer separately. Model structure layer as a separate wall type and then model liniing on both sides as separate wall types. This way you would have 100% control on length/profile of each layers.
R

Limbatus
2012-03-26, 11:25 PM
Check out the discrepancy between the parts dimensioned in revit and rhino. Revit identifies the part as 6 5/8" thick, while rhino reads 15.655" thick. have to assume that rhino is ignoring the part subdivisions.

tamas
2012-03-27, 12:05 AM
Check out the discrepancy between the parts dimensioned in revit and rhino. Revit identifies the part as 6 5/8" thick, while rhino reads 15.655" thick. have to assume that rhino is ignoring the part subdivisions.

Probably it does. How did you export the model to Rhino and why would you do it?

Limbatus
2012-03-27, 05:21 PM
When i initially opened my IFC 2x2 file in DDS-CAD viewer, i could not see the assemblies divided, and i could only take measurements between vertexes. I set up some clipping planes to look at the the interior of each model element, and no "parts" were visible. i was curious whether this was limited to IFC files, so
next I exported as both an fbx and dwg to look at in rhino. it seems that none of the export formats retain the "parts" information created in revit. if this is the case, how am i intended to use this information? I've never seen anybody run their cnc mill with revit.

tamas
2012-03-28, 09:45 PM
When i initially opened my IFC 2x2 file in DDS-CAD viewer, i could not see the assemblies divided, and i could only take measurements between vertexes. I set up some clipping planes to look at the the interior of each model element, and no "parts" were visible. i was curious whether this was limited to IFC files, so
next I exported as both an fbx and dwg to look at in rhino. it seems that none of the export formats retain the "parts" information created in revit. if this is the case, how am i intended to use this information? I've never seen anybody run their cnc mill with revit.

I see. In R2012 IFC does not export Parts. They are exported by DWF. As well as the NavisWorks export tool. In R2013 IFC exports them as a collection.

Tamas

Limbatus
2012-03-29, 12:20 AM
I filed a support request, and this is the solution they proposed. not sure if it works yet. ill try it out in the morning and report back augi.

1. Go to the "R" icon on the top left of the screen
2. Click on "Options">IFC options
3. A dialog box will open and you can choose the format you would to use to export. Remember that you can create your own format usng a txt editor.
4. Type : "not exported" to the layers you don't want to export.
Kindly refer to the images I am attaching to this email.
Here is a link to our wikihelp in case you have not seen it yet:
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/1394-Document1394/2112-Print_Ex2112/2113-Export2113/2150-Exportin2150