PDA

View Full Version : autocad wall sections not visible

Jason Shirriff
2012-03-06, 12:06 AM
We have a project we have been working on for the past couple of years and the wall sections are drawn in autocad and linked into revit.
It has been this way for quite some time with no problem.
We recently upgraded to 2012 (2 months ago, from 2009) and a week ago we noticed that the wall sections were not visible on the sheets anymore in revit.
I later discovered the sections are there, they are printable from revit. When I click on the screen where they are supposed to be in the view they appear in blue.
So the links are ok, all the visability settings are ok (really I checked everything), they print, but we cant see them on the screen.
I did notice that if I pulled back in the view they appeared when I was at a distance, but when I zoom in they disapear again.
This is happening on more than one computer so it doesnt seem like a hardware issue.
None of the autocad details that are linked in have this problem, only the wall sections which are on their own workset, set up in sections views with the revit section hidden, then placed on 4-5 sheets.
The fact that they are on their own workset makes me think it must have something to do with that. But when I changed them to another visible workset they still didnt appear.
The autocad files are only about 150k.
Really weird!
Anyone know what this is?

Thanks
Jason

nancy.mcclure
2012-03-06, 02:23 AM
Hi Jason,
Since the leap to 2009 to 2012 is a big one, perhaps there's an issue with how those CAD files are translating into 2012. A couple of tests I'd try:
a) Reload: Open the original CAD sections and wblock them, retain the origin. In Revit, test reloading from... and mapping to the wblock file. Does this have any effect?
b) Relink: Unload one of the sections, and relink it, setting the black and white conversion. Perhaps re-converting the section may resolve it.

Hope that helps,

Jason Shirriff
2012-03-06, 05:07 PM
Thanks nancy, good to hear from you.
The only problem with that approach is that it requires alot of reworking and time in a project that is essentially complete where we have no time or budget to go back in and rework it.

The wall sections are there in revit, they appear when I click in the space where they are supposed to be and they plot.

Anyway I will try something like you suggest to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks
Jason

Jason Shirriff
2012-03-06, 05:48 PM
I found the problem.
The extents settings in the view had Far clipping set to "clip with line".
When I switched it to "No clip" the 2d drawing reappeared.
Some model elements in the distance also appeared so I just have to go and hide anything that shouldnt be there.
This affected about 20 wall sections/ views.

I believe this has to do with how this setting is programmed in 2012 vs 2009, since we didnt do anything from our end except upgrade over the christmas holidays.

Cheers,

Jason

nancy.mcclure
2012-03-07, 09:39 PM
Thanks for giving an update - good to know and keep an eye out on with upgraded projects.

Hope everyone is doing well -
Nancy