PDA

View Full Version : Revit Manager Role Eventually Obsolete?

kmarquis
2012-03-08, 04:57 PM
I'm currently my firms's Revit Manager and have been for the last year. I've been the Revit Manager at various firms for about the last 5 years and I love it. I can't wait to get into work every day and I can barely pull myself away at the end of the day.

The firm I currently work at is completely new to Revit and I just helped them complete their first Revit project. I've spent the last year developing templates, families, etc. and we're just getting started. Even though I've been out of school for 10 years I'm lacking in technical knowledge because I'm constantly getting shuffled from building one Revit model to another. My current firm who is very committed to Professional development just gave me my 1 year review and said, "You're role is eventually going to expire due to everyone else getting as up to speed as you are at Revit and then in 5 years you're going to find yourself without a career because all you know is Revit".

Are any other Revit Managers out there faced with the same impending doom of becoming obsolete?

cliff collins
2012-03-08, 05:27 PM
Good question.

I still think the role is valid, and will continue to be valid much more in the future, as BIM becomes more mainstream. Especially in large collaborative teams. Someone needs to direct, organize and orchestrate.

It's not just Revit, it's BIM--and that includes many types of software packages and team members who all participate. Then there is management of the Database(s) to pull together all of the Information from all the Models. Your newly trained Revit staff are not going to be able to handle all of that. That's where you should focus--learn all you can about all the "flavors" of Revit, Navisworks, IFC, Green Building Studio, EcoTect,
etc.

Then again, you might want to actually DESIGN something once in a while and be an Architect!!!

I'm in a very similar role--I have 30 yrs experience, I'm licensed, and a BIM Mgr. It's a complicated role, that's for sure. And each firm will have a different setup and needs. Just find your way as you go. Your role will become more and more valid, not less--as time goes by. Good luck!

Alfredo Medina
2012-03-08, 06:39 PM
Interesting topic. I do not think that the role will be obsolete any time soon. Actually, it will become more important in the next years. Maybe at your office, they think that they don't need you because you have already taught the others, and they think that is enough, so maybe you should ask yourself whether you want to continue there or not. If you want to stop focusing on BIM and start concentrating more on architecture, you should move to another office, when you can work on projects all the time. It won't happen at this office, because they have already labeled you as the Revit person and they will never change. If you want to stay on BIM, maybe you should move to another place, too; there are other places looking for people who know what you know, and much more, Therefore, I would say, for any of the two roads that you decide to take, it will better to start at another place.

When I read your post, I remembered about myself being in that situation several years ago. Being in architectural offices, I was always more interested in the software than in architecture, but that did not bother me, only maybe my previous bosses sometimes, even though I was very well appreciated at the offices where I worked, and I contributed greatly to those offices with all I could give. But later on, I understood that working on architecture was not the true me. Even if I tried to think of something else, my mind would always be inevitably interested on how to do things with the software, and with the knowledge about the software. Today, this passion has become my living, and I do all about BIM: I do consulting, I solve complicated problems, I teach online, I speak at AU, I write handouts, I make libraries of families, I make tutorial videos, I write blogs, I post in forums,etc., but most importantly: I enjoy myself more now than when I was going to the architectural office every day, and less importantly, but necessary: I still make enough money to have a nice life, with lots of freedom and independence. I guess life is about discovering who you are and what you are good at, and what makes you happy, not the others, but yourself.

Revitaoist
2012-03-08, 06:48 PM
I definitely would not have all my eggs in one basket, banking on Revit skills alone to keep you employed. You should diversify your skillset. See if you can do IDP training. Get experience getting a building permit through the building department, maybe a side project for family or friends done at cost just for the experience. Learn the building code. I got certified through the ICC as a plans examiner, the same cert required for building department plans examiners, it was not all that difficult and looks great on the resume.

SamuelAB
2012-03-08, 08:47 PM
Don't stop learning, stay ahead of the game.

Watch the AU videos, read books, explore other programs that work with Revit (IES, 3ds, Ecotect). Learn about IFC files and their problems, learn any new features of Revit releases (the new batch is scheduled for the end of the month).

The other designers will not necessarily have the time to learn all this if it is not their focus, they are busy designing.

It sounds to me like you stopped learning. Go on Amazon and grab some books.

Wanderer
2012-03-08, 08:58 PM
I'm currently my firms's Revit Manager and have been for the last year. I've been the Revit Manager at various firms for about the last 5 years and I love it. I can't wait to get into work every day and I can barely pull myself away at the end of the day.

"You'r role is eventually going to expire due to everyone else getting as up to speed as you are at Revit and then in 5 years you're going to find yourself without a career because all you know is Revit". Are any other Revit Managers out there faced with the same impending doom of becoming obsolete?I don't think so. I think that some mindsets want to be able to classify and categorize into established production roles.
They want to see you as 'architect', 'engineer', 'designer', etc. It's the ambiguous non-production roles that some leadership has a problem with.
They think that once the transition is made they won't need a BIM Manager anymore? There are plenty of firms that have thought that about CAD Managers for years.
I think, so long as you are with a firm that recognizes the importance of having that 'software person' who tackles the troubleshooting/setup/new feature implementations, their production personnel can stay focused on what they do. If the firm doesn't think that... their eventual loss when you move to someplace else that does recognize those skills are needed long-term.

If you want design experience, try to worm your way more into it.
However, if you are fired up with what you're doing, by all means, continue to do it. Maybe work toward some applicable certifications in project management or programming or network support, things that actually tie into the support side rather than the design side.

sbrown
2012-03-08, 09:42 PM
Never tie yourself to a specific software. They come and go. I can train someone in software, I can't give you a good attitude, people skills and a sense of ownership in the work you do. You sound like someone who is a "self starter". There will always be jobs for those who don't wait for someone else to tell them what needs to be done, but comes up with solutions to problems.

But don't worry, I would be grateful that you found a firm interested in your professional development. You may find a leadership track. But if training and project support is your passion, there will always be a need for that in Architecture and Interior design. Because many designers want nothing to do with standards setting, etc. So I think you'll be ok.

damon.sidel
2012-03-08, 10:26 PM
I agree with Scott's general sentiment "Never tie yourself to a specific software." I'm not a BIM manager, I'm an architect, but what I see from students coming out of school is that their best skill is not a particular piece of software, but the ability to learn new software quickly. Many young professionals are very good at finding the best tool for the job and implementing it.

That being said, if what you love is software support, implementation, and training, there are a number of firms that specialize in just that. I don't know where you are based, but check out a place like CASE, Inc. Reading about what they do may give you some ideas about what you could do. Maybe you could get your firm to pay for your professional development by sending you to some conferences and lectures about BIM and all the other related technology stuff going on. That might give you a broader understanding of how your skills and interests could be developed and fit in to the industry.

Steve_Stafford
2012-03-09, 06:17 AM
...My current firm who is very committed to Professional development just gave me my 1 year review and said, "You're role is eventually going to expire due to everyone else getting as up to speed as you are at Revit and then in 5 years you're going to find yourself without a career because all you know is Revit"...

By that logic after 30 odd years no firm would need CAD managers either? :screwy:

The more likely reality is that you'll find you'd rather be doing something else after any number of years, looking for different and fresh challenges. Then again if you like what you're doing and still are in five years...if what he says comes true for you at that firm...there will be some other firm just getting started that will cherish you. :)

cliff collins
2012-03-09, 02:00 PM
Perhaps what is really happening is:

The Principals think they can no longer justify a "Revit Manager" because it takes a lot of non-billable hours,
and they want everyone, including Karen, to be 100% billable.

And now that "everyone has learned the software", they think she should go back to just producing billable work, and stop being a non-billable "Revit Manager".

A very short-sided, but typical scenario, as most upper management do not have a clue as to what is actually happening in the trenches, because they have never been through learning and using Revit.

I would have a very blunt conversation with the Principal and explain this, and tell them that it's not just a "Revit Manager" role, it's a BIM Manager--which is a critical one, especially as projects become more complex with larger collaborative teams using a multitude of software apps.

leslie smith
2012-03-09, 08:32 PM
Interesting question...
I am a longtime Revit user, since version 2, pre-autodesk.
Lots of changes...
I currently work in an office where Revit has been used
exclusively for the past 6 years. We STILL have a "cad" (ie Revit) manager.
When he's not here and frequently even when he is, I am fielding questions
multiple times per day. I would say these are experience revit users.
But we don't all know everything. Sharing knowledge is crutial.
And is a never-ending "job".

Your enthusiam and drive, as well as your skills and knowledge, should
be viewed as an asset to your company...sounds to me like they are
just looking for an opportunity to cut staff. If I were you I would be
looking for an employer who could see my real value.

kmarquis
2012-03-10, 04:38 PM
I am grateful that I found a firm interested in my professional development. I appreciate them for that and I see where they're coming from even though I think they're off. I get the impression they look down on the role. One of them in my review gave me a, "Maybe you do just want to be a drafter the rest of your career.". I guess in a way I am working on other people's designs but not everyone would see that as a bad thing. I love what I do and I literally walk around and see something and think, "How would I model that in Revit?".

I'm getting the impression they don't understand what I do on a daily basis which might be my fault. They might see a void in my role after all the templates are made, families are built and the teams are trained. "Oh great! Now we just all push buttons and plop the stuff in there." What they don't see is the constant back and forth with consultants, over the shoulder training to team members, quality control, strategizing the model setup ...stuff that only a seasoned veteran would understand.

Although I'm slightly insulted this whole incident along with the amazing forum responses has got me thinking and made me realize I need to step up my game a little. I am pretty good at Revit and I really care about what I'm do which is half the battle. I have a good attitude and I'm easy to work with but I might be a little bit one dimensional at this point in my career. I need to either be an architect that knows Revit or be exceptional at technology and learn several more software programs along with Revit and be a leader in my field. Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I really appreciate all the time everyone dedicated to the responses.

Karen

Mike Sealander
2012-03-11, 03:56 PM
If you are in San Francisco, go talk to Russ Drinker at Perkins & Will. He's my old boss.

kmarquis
2012-03-11, 08:59 PM
If you are in San Francisco, go talk to Russ Drinker at Perkins & Will. He's my old boss.

Thanks Mike but I'm actually in Boston.

mrothman
2012-03-12, 02:01 PM
It seems to me like it's a power play from them. I've always hated the strong arm approach from managerial staff. No matter how good you're doing, they always want you to feel less important to them than you really are to avoid the "R" word (Raise). If they don't think you're important enough to keep, there are plenty of BIM Management positions open all over the country that will give you the respect you deserve. I think I read it in a couple of the posts above me though, don't just title yourself a "Revit Manager", but a BIM Manager and you open yourself up to a very different range of opportunities as well.

Wanderer
2012-03-12, 03:37 PM
I'm getting the impression they don't understand what I do on a daily basis which might be my fault. They might see a void in my role after all the templates are made, families are built and the teams are trained. "Oh great! Now we just all push buttons and plop the stuff in there." What they don't see is the constant back and forth with consultants, over the shoulder training to team members, quality control, strategizing the model setup ...stuff that only a seasoned veteran would understand.

Karen, I'm sure many of us here can identify with that.
Nobody knows what I do here. I'm probably still not assertive enough about making sure my uppers know the breadth of my work, but, years ago I did start tracking individual tasks when I am assisting others. Just using Access, a simple database.
Software and hardware training and trouble-shooting, evaluation and upgrades, patches, standards reviews and corrections, etc. At any time I can use a simple query to pop out a report listing who I assisted, from what department/company, etc.

Best of luck.

cdatechguy
2012-03-12, 04:08 PM
I've mentioned repeatedly that we need a Revit Manager or Revit Lead to help assist people on multiple projects, which is something that I already do...but I get denied and get the "Your too important on the Production side for you to be a dedicated Revit Manager"...mainly the idea is I am 100% billable instead of support, which has already been mentioned...but...I still support everyone :/