PDA

View Full Version : Cross-office collaboration

jmaurer
2012-03-08, 09:20 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has idea or best practices when working in Revit with several different firms. I'm about to start on a project where we have a fairly detailed existing conditions model that will be shared with several other architects. We're a little nervous about granting unlimited access to the file, since we don't want the existing work to be inadvertently lost. Does anyone know of a good way to prevent someone else from editing the existing model while still allowing them to add new stuff into the file?

MikeJarosz
2012-03-08, 10:43 PM
Keep an untouched copy of it in a safe place!

thillhouse
2012-03-12, 01:17 PM
What Mike said its the best bet...

You also could change the user name to "Locked" or something, move everything to one workset, pin everything, make the workset uneditable and then close the file and change the user name back to yours...

After doing all that it still is possible to change the existing model, it just would take lots of steps and a lot of hassle to get in and do it...

Tim

jmaurer
2012-03-20, 05:09 PM
That was my first thought too. But it seems relatively easy to grab ownership (presuming a moderate Revit skill level) so it would only prevent accidental deletions. I think we're going to have to simply save an original untouched copy and then save periodic archive versions as the project goes on.