PDA

View Full Version : Surface patterns by phase

noah
2005-01-25, 11:52 PM
I've read some posts on changing surface patterns according to the phase but I'm still having trouble.

I have an elevation with both existing and new walls (filter is set to show previous+new). I set the Phase filter Settings for show previous+new to override for both Existing and New.

No matter what color I set for the surface pattern it doesn't show up. Also, for the new wall the surface pattern is showing as solid instead of the shake siding material. But the new material isn't specified in this override. I'm only trying to tweak the color of the pattern not change the pattern.

I attached an image of what's going wrong. I want the new wall to show the shake siding as a medium gray (not solid dark gray). I want the existing wall to show the shake as a very light gray. The line colors are accurate.

Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-26, 09:14 AM
Each phase has only one material assignment option. Since your wall has a material assigned to the finish, the material: Phase-Existing isn't altering the pattern on your wall but should be altering the wall boundary lines to make them lighter. To do what I think you are describing, I believe you will will need to establish a wall style for existing walls that uses a different copy of your material that has a lighter color assigned for the surface pattern.

noah
2005-01-26, 12:23 PM
Thanks Steve. But I don't understand why Revit works this way. If it can override the boundary color why not the pattern? Seems like a logical thing to do and a conventional drafting technique. Is this a feature that has been requested?

Where in the program did the dark gray solid pattern for the new wall come from? It's not the material for the new phase and its not the material for the wall itself. It must be set somewhere and therefore I must be able to change it. Same with the existing wall pattern. Somewhere in the program it is telling the existign wall to use a black hatch pattern. I must be able to say "no use a light pattern". Some sort of global setting or something?

Just so I'm clear, If I don't have a material assigned to the wall finish then the phase material would show up? I'll give it a try.

rodneyf
2005-01-26, 12:31 PM
Noah,
I have personally sent in the request to Revit via email about an override for the pattern. I beg everyone to send in a "I agree, we need an override for the cut pattern not just color" please the more we request this the better a chance we will get it.

Thanks,

sbrown
2005-01-26, 02:04 PM
What I do is create a duplicate wall type and roof type for existing construction, these have the same surface patterns but in a light grey color. That way it is easy to indicate existing vs new but you can still render the final product.